- Title: Paris Metro gets a makeover for Asterix's 60th birthday
- Date: 9th October 2019
- Summary: CHILD HOLDING UP PHOTO WITH "ASTERIX" CHARACTERS
- Embargoed: 23rd October 2019 16:55
- Keywords: Asterix anniversary comic book Gaul Obelix metro RATP
- Location: PARIS, FRANCE
- City: PARIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Books,Arts / Culture / Entertainment
- Reuters ID: LVA002B0DIUL5
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The Paris metro has given itself an "Asterix"-style makeover to celebrate the comic book's 60th birthday this October.
Twelve metro stations around the city were temporarily renamed on Wednesday (October 9) to pay tribute to the comic book series.
Menilmontant station became "Menhirmontant" ("boulder-lifting") after Asterix's sidekick Obelix's super strength, while Rome station was decorated in "Asterix"-themed posters.
Beloved characters Asterix, Obelix, and Getafix also made an appearance to pose for photos with fans in Gare de Lyon station, which had a Roman-themed makeover, becoming "Gare de Lugdunum" to match the comic's Roman-era setting.
The pint-sized Gaul, who has been entertaining readers with his exploits alongside oversized Obelix since 1959, has become a mainstay in the publishing industry with more than 370 million albums sold worldwide.
As well as being translated into more than 100 languages, the books have inspired a dozen movies and cartoon series.
The original books, written by Rene Goscinny and illustrated by Albert Uderzo, built up a mass following in the 1960s and 70s, with many readers from those days still snapping up the titles half a century on.
After Goscinny's death in 1977, Uderzo both wrote and illustrated the series until he retired in 2009.
(Production: Kathryn Carlson, Thierry Chiarello)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Footage contains photographs or artwork. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing this clip.