- Title: Merkel commemorates victims of German synagogue shooting
- Date: 9th October 2019
- Summary: BERLIN, GERMANY (OCTOBER 9, 2019) (REUTERS) ***WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** PEOPLE GATHERED IN FRONT OF THE NEW SYNAGOGUE IN BERLIN TO COMMEMORATE TWO VICTIMS OF A SHOOTING IN HALLE VARIOUS OF MERKEL WITH RABBI GESA EDERBERG (LEFT) AND BERLIN STATE SECRETARY SAWSAN CHEBLI (FAR LEFT)
- Embargoed: 23rd October 2019 20:10
- Keywords: Halle shooting attack gunman Merkel vigil
- Location: BERLIN, GERMANY
- City: BERLIN, GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,International/National Security
- Reuters ID: LVA002B0DO5S7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: German Chancellor Angela Merkel visited the New Synagogue in Berlin on Wednesday (October 9), after a gunman who denounced Jews killed two people in the eastern German city of Halle.
Merkel joined around 200 people at a vigil commemorating the victims outside the Berlin synagogue, led by Rabbi Gesa Ederberg.
Merkel's government voiced outrage over the attack on Yom Kippur, the holiest day of the Jewish year, and urged tougher action against anti-Semitic violence.
Merkel's spokesman tweeted: "We must oppose any form of anti-Semitism."
Several German media outlets said the perpetrator acted alone on Wednesday in Halle. He fatally shot a woman outside the synagogue and a man inside a nearby kebab shop.
The gunman had livestreamed the attack in Halle on a video-gaming platform.
Before he began shooting on Wednesday, the attacker also broadcast an anti-Semitic manifesto online.
Police said they had detained one person.
(Production: Christian Mang, Christine Diegler)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None