- Title: A large convoy of Turkey backed rebels arrives at Turkish - Syrian border
- Date: 10th October 2019
- Summary: AKCAKALE, TURKEY (OCTOBER 10, 2019) (REUTERS) (NIGHT SHOTS) BUSES CARRYING TURKEY-BACKED REBELS DRIVING ON ROAD BUS DRIVING TOWARDS THE ENTRANCE OF MILITARY CAMP REBELS SEEN THROUGH THE WINDOW BUSES ENTERING MILITARY CAMP REBELS SEEN IN THE BUS BUS ENTERING CAMP / TOW TRUCK CARRYING VEHICLES ENTERING CAMP TOW TRUCK CARRYING GUN MOUNTED TRUCKS ARRIVING AT CAMP VARIOUS OF CONVOY ARRIVING AT CAMP
- Embargoed: 24th October 2019 22:27
- Keywords: Turkey Syra convoy military operation
- Location: AKCAKALE, TURKEY
- City: AKCAKALE, TURKEY
- Country: Turkey
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Military Conflicts
- Reuters ID: LVA001B0IN8EF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Another large convoy carrying Turkey-backed rebels and gun mounted trucks arrived at border town of Akcakale on Thursday night (October 10) as part of a cross-border assault on Kurdish militia.
Dozens of buses carrying rebels and trucks loaded with ammunition entered a military camp in Akcakale across Syrian town of Tel Abyad. The convoy was sent to reinforce troops fighting in northern Syria, private Demiroren news agency reported.
The offensive against the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) led by Kurdish YPG militia, which began days after Trump pulled U.S. troops out of the way and following a phone call with Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan, opens one of the biggest new fronts in years in an eight-year-old civil war that has drawn in global powers.
NATO member Turkey has said it intends to create a "safe zone" for the return of millions of refugees to Syria. But world powers fear the operation could intensify Syria's conflict and runs the risk of Islamic State prisoners escaping from camps amid the chaos.
(Production: Yesim Dikmen)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None