- Title: Nobel Prize Literature Handke "a writer with whom to discover the world"
- Date: 10th October 2019
- Summary: BERLIN, GERMANY (OCTOBER 10, 2019) (REUTERS) PLACARD WITH BLACK-AND-WHITE PHOTOGRAPHS OF PETER HANDKE
- Embargoed: 24th October 2019 15:56
- Keywords: Nobel prize Peter Handke publisher Suhrkamp
- Location: BERLIN, GERMANY
- City: BERLIN, GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Topics: Books,Arts / Culture / Entertainment
- Reuters ID: LVA001B0IIYBR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The publisher of Nobel literature laureate Peter Handke said that reading Handke is like exploring the world. "He is like no other capable of seeing things that perhaps nobody else would see," Jonathan Landgrebe of the publishing house Suhrkamp told Reuters TV. "And to follow his writing, to read them means to explore the world in a new way."
He also said that Suhrkamp is very happy for Handke being recognized this way. Landgrebe called him an "exceptional writer" of whom not many exist anymore in this world. "And an author who deserves this Nobel literature prize like no-one else in the world."
Earlier on Thursday. The Swedish Academy announced that Austrian writer Peter Handke won the 2019 Nobel Prize for Literature,
Handke, 76, was recognised for a body of work which includes novels, essays, notebooks and drama and "that with linguistic ingenuity has explored the periphery and the specificity of human experience," the Academy said in a statement.
Handke established himself as one of the most influential writers in Europe after World War Two, the Academy said. He also co-wrote the script of the critically-acclaimed 1987 film "Wings of Desire".
The author of books such as "The Goalie's Anxiety at the Penalty Kick" and "Slow Homecoming", he attracted widespread criticism attending the funeral of former Yugoslav President Slobodan Milosevic in 2006.
British writer Salman Rushdie once criticised him for "a series of impassioned apologias for the genocidal regime of Slobodan Milosevic".
(Production: Oliver Ellrodt, Lena Toepler, Ute Swart)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Footage contains photographs or artwork. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing this clip.