- Title: Turkish and Syrian "national army" convoy heads to border
- Date: 10th October 2019
- Summary: AKCAKALE, TURKEY (OCTOBER 10, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF SYRIAN NATIONAL ARMY (FORMALLY KNOWN AS FREE SYRIAN ARMY) PICK-UP TRUCKS MOUNTED WITH ANTI-AIRCRAFT MACHINES DRIVING ALONG THE BORDER VARIOUS OF MILITARY CONVOY DRIVING ALONG THE BORDER VARIOUS OF TURKISH ARMOURED MILITARY VEHICLES DRIVING TURKISH AND SYRIAN MILITARY CONVOY SEEN IN DISTANCE MILITARY VEHICLE DRIVING MILITARY CONVOY DRIVING
- Embargoed: 24th October 2019 09:24
- Keywords: Turkey Syria military operation Syrian Kurdish militia Tel Abyad YPG military convoy
- Location: AKCAKALE, TURKEY
- City: AKCAKALE, TURKEY
- Country: Turkey
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Military Conflicts
- Reuters ID: LVA001B0IKK07
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Turkey said its forces seized designated targets on the second day of an offensive against a Kurdish militia in Syria, after a withdrawal by U.S. forces opened up a dangerous new phase in the region's eight-year-old conflict.
On Thursday (October 10), in the Turkish border town of Akcakale, around 30 vehicles carrying Syrian rebels, many pick-up trucks mounted with anti-aircraft machines drove along the main along the Turkish side of the border from Syria's Tel Abyad, a Reuters journalist said.
They were accompanied by some 10 Turkish military armoured vehicles. It was not clear where they were heading.
The Turkish military has hit 181 targets of the Kurdish militia with its air force and artillery since the start of operation into northeast Syria, the ministry said.
The Turkish Defence Ministry also said on Twitter that the operation, targeting a Kurdish militia which Ankara designates a terrorist group, continued throughout the night by land and air. The offensive began on Wednesday (October 9) after the United States removed some of its troops from the area.
(Production: Mert Ozkan, Bulent Usta, Deniz Uyar)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None