- Title: Hondurans protest as president battles drug links accusations
- Date: 10th October 2019
- Summary: VARIOUS, PROTESTERS WALKING DOWN ROADS
- Embargoed: 24th October 2019 03:48
- Keywords: Honduras bribery protests drug links clashes accusations narcotrafficking El Chapo Honduran President Juan Orlando Hernandez
- Location: TEGUCIGALPA, HONDURAS
- City: TEGUCIGALPA, HONDURAS
- Country: Honduras
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA002B0IJ70N
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Hondurans took to the streets Wednesday (October 9) to oppose the government of President Juan Orlando Hernandez who is battling accusations that his brother has links to convicted drug traffickers.
Hundreds of Hondurans peacefully marched on the streets of the capital Tegucigalpa Wednesday, even as that same evening some protesters clashed violently with police in riot gear who fired tear gas in response.
Protesters cited the New York trial of the president's brother, Juan Antonio "Tony" Hernandez, a lawyer and former Honduran congressman, who is accused of conspiring to import cocaine into the United States and possessing illegal weapons, as part of their opposition to the government.
Tony Hernandez has pleaded not guilty. A witness at his trial testified Tuesday (October 8) that Mexican drug lord Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman tried to give $1 million to President Hernandez's election campaign after being promised protection for his cocaine shipments.
The president has denied taking money from Guzman or other drug traffickers.
U.S. prosecutors have said Tony Hernandez, with the protection of his brother, moved tons of cocaine into the United States, some of it stamped with his initials, and took part in two drug-related murders.
The administration of U.S. President Donald Trump has supported Juan Orlando Hernandez, a conservative, as a staunch ally in the fight against drug trafficking. In Honduras he has faced mounting popular opposition since he was sworn in for a second term in January 2018 despite allegations of electoral fraud.
(Production: Marvin Valladares, Manuel Carrillo)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.