- Title: Mortar shell explodes outside Turkish governor's office
- Date: 10th October 2019
- Summary: AKCAKALE, TURKEY (OCTOBER 10, 2019) (SECURITY OFFICIAL HANDOUT OBTAINED BY REUTERS) VIEW OUTSIDE OFFICE, MORTAR SHELL EXPLODING AS IT HITS THE GROUND REPLAY OF EXPLOSION
- Embargoed: 24th October 2019 21:24
- Keywords: Turkey Kurdish militia northeast Syria Syrian Democratic Forces SDF
- Location: AKCAKALE, TURKEY
- City: AKCAKALE, TURKEY
- Country: Turkey
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA001B0IOKLJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: CCTV footage captured the moment a mortar shell exploded on Thursday (October 10) outside the headquarters of a district governor's office in Akcakale, Turkey.
Seven people including a 9-month-old Syrian baby were killed and 70 were wounded during mortar and rocket fire from Syria into Turkish border towns, governors' offices of southeastern Turkish provinces said on Thursday.
Four people killed and 46 were wounded as shells hit the border towns of Akcakale and Ceylanpinar, Sanliurfa governor's office said in a statement. The shells that landed in Nusaybin district of southeast Mardin province killed three women and wounded 24 others, according to governor's office.
Turkish defence ministry said the army detected and destroyed PKK and YPG militants targeting Turkish civilians.
Turkey pressed its military offensive against U.S.-allied Kurdish fighters in northeast Syria, shelling towns and bombing targets from the air in an operation that could transform an eight-year-old war.
(Production: Soraya Ali)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None