- Title: Italy is focused on Euro 2020, Van't Schip praises Mancini's work
- Date: 11th October 2019
- Summary: ROME, ITALY (OCTOBER 11, 2019) (REUTERS) ITALY COACH, ROBERTO MANCINI, AND ITALY CAPTAIN, LEONARDO BONUCCI, ARRIVING AT NEWS CONFERENCE JOURNALIST TAKING A PHOTOGRAPH (SOUNDBITE) (Italian) ITALY COACH, ROBERTO MANCINI, SAYING: "Euro 2020 is our main objective because it is the first important competition we will have and clearly (Italy) is a team that must also be seen in the running for the 2022 FIFA World Cup that will take place in Qatar but our primary objective is Euro 2020. We want to play well and go all the way because the European championship has been missing in the Italian trophy cabinet for too long and so this is our primary objective." PHOTOGRAPHER (SOUNDBITE) (Italian) ITALY COACH, ROBERTO MANCINI, SAYING: "Certainly, as I said before, it will not be a simple match because they have changed coach, because they will probably change the game module, they have changed several players. They have left the most experienced players at home to try young and new players so we don't even know who will play and how the game will go. Things will not change for us, we must play our game and try to win this very important match. This is our goal." PHOTOGRAPHER / MICROPHONE BEING GIVEN TO JOURNALIST MANCINI LEAVING ITALY PLAYERS ON PITCH ITALY MIDFIELDER, MARCO VERRATTI, PUTTING TRAINING SHIRT ON ITALY MIDFIELDER, JORGINHO, RUNNING ON PITCH ITALY GOALKEEPER, GIANLUIGI DONNARUMMA, WALKING ON PITCH ITALY FORWARD, LORENZO INSIGNE WALKING ON PITCH WITH VERRATTI / PLAYERS JOKING ON PITCH MANCINI SPEAKING WITH PLAYERS / ITALY CAPTAIN, LEONARDO BONUCCI, SMILING NEXT TO VERRATTI, DEFENDER ARMANDO IZZO (LEFT) AND MIDFIELDER SANDRO TONALI AND DEFENDER GIOVANNI DI LORENZO (RIGHT) PLAYERS ON PITCH GREECE COACH, JOHN VAN'T SCHIP AND DEFENDER KOSTAS STAFYLIDIS, ARRIVING AT NEWS CONFERENCE PHOTOGRAPHERS (SOUNDBITE) (English) GREECE COACH, JOHN VAN'T SCHIP, SAYING: "Mancini did a good job to make the Italian team as they are in this moment. They're leading the group, they can qualify tomorrow and he did it in a very short time. It's up to us and to me to see if we can do the same with the Greek team. We know that they already had problems for a few years, they didn't qualify for the big tournaments and also in this qualification they have not done well and we have started now to see if we can turn this around and looking forward to the qualification for the World Cup in Qatar and for the Nations League games next year." JOURNALISTS (SOUNDBITE) (English) GREECE COACH, JOHN VAN'T SCHIP, SAYING: "Of course you want to see that we compete against a very good team, that we see a team that fights for each other that also tries to put the plan in place, that we are training on. We want to build for the future so this is a great game for the experience as well and not always looking at the result. We know the result is very important but we want to see a team that is up to facing a strong Italian team, that we can compete. I think that's the best possible way that they can respond." PHOTOGRAPHERS VAN'T SCHIP AND STAFYLIDIS LEAVING VAN'T SCHIP ON PITCH GREECE MIDFIELDER, GIANNIS FETFATZIDIS, WALKING ON PITCH TRAINING SESSION IN PROGRESS GREECE STRIKER, TASOS BAKASETAS, RUNNING AND WALKING ON PITCH GREECE DEFENDER, KOSTAS STAFYLIDIS, SMILING AND WALKING ON PITCH HOLDING BALL VAN'T SCHIP ON PITCH LOOKING AT PLAYERS RUNNING
- Embargoed: 25th October 2019 20:01
- Keywords: Greece coach John van't Schip Italy coach Roberto Mancini Italy Greece soccer football Euro 2020 qualifier Rome
- Location: ROME, ITALY
- City: ROME, ITALY
- Country: Italy
- Topics: Soccer,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA001B0NMVJZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Italy coach Roberto Mancini on Friday (October 11) said he wants to end Italy's Euros drought ahead of match against Greece.
Speaking during a news conference on the eve of a qualifier against John Van't's Schip Greece, Mancini said his side is focused on Euro 2020, as Italy last won the European Championship in 1968.
If the Azzurri beat Greece they will qualify with three games to spare but Mancini said he did not underestimate Greece.
Greece, surprise winners of Euro 2004 in Portugal, have seen their qualification hopes hit following three defeats and just one victory.
With the qualification to Euro 2020 fading, Van't Schip said he is working to build a team that could be ready for 2022 FIFA World Cup that will be held in Qatar.
But Van't Schip also warned Italy that his side will fight against Italy, regardless of the outcome.
The Azzurri have a perfect record in Group J so far, with six straight wins putting Mancini's side clear ahead of Iceland at the top of the table and another victory would guarantee qualification for next summer's tournament, set to open in Rome on June 12.
(Production: Carmelo Camilli, Fabiano Franchitti)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None