- Title: Climate change protesters climb onto BBC building, glue themselves to doors
- Date: 11th October 2019
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (OCTOBER 11, 2019) (REUTERS) CLIMATE CHANGE ACTIVISTS CLIMBING ONTO BBC BUILDING ACTIVIST PLACING EXTINCTION REBELLION STICKER ON WALL PEOPLE INSIDE BUILDING WATCHING / BBC LOGO PEOPLE LOOKING ON / BBC LOGO AND ACTIVISTS ON ROOF IN BACKGROUND ACTIVISTS ON ROOF HOLDING BANNER READING (English): "TELL THE TRUTH" ACTIVIST BEING ESCORTED AWAY BY POLICE POLICE OFFICERS STANDING AROUND PROTESTERS BLOCKING ENTRANCE TO BUILDING ACTIVIST PLACING GLUE ON HANDS ACTIVIST GLUED TO BUILDING ACTIVIST BEING CARRIED AWAY BY POLICE OFFICERS ACTIVISTS CHANTING VARIOUS OF EXTINCTION REBELLION FLAGS VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS DRESSED IN RED POSING OUTSIDE BBC BUILDING PROTESTERS PLAYING DRUMS / ACTIVISTS ON ROOF
- Embargoed: 25th October 2019 14:19
- Keywords: Extinction Rebellion climate change protests London BBC climate change protest
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UK
- City: LONDON, ENGLAND, UK
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Environment,Climate Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001B0NME6F
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Extinction Rebellion protesters blocked the BBC's headquarters on Friday (October 11), calling on Britain's public service broadcaster to treat climate change with the same gravity as World War Two and tell the public the truth.
The group, which promotes a rebellion against the political, economic and social structure of the modern world to avert the worst devastation outlined by scientists studying climate, is engaged in two weeks of civil disobedience in London.
Extinction Rebellion rose to prominence in April when it snarled traffic in central London for 11 days. It wants governments to take much more radical to reduce greenhouse emissions.
Holding banners bearing slogans such as "Planet Before Profit", waving flags, singing and chanting, a few dozen demonstrators gathered outside of the BBC's main building calling for it take global warming more seriously.
A BBC spokeswoman said she could not comment on security matters. She refused to comment on the criticism of BBC coverage.
Some activists sat outside the BBC offices and glued their hands to doors after days of similar such action around the city.
Extinction Rebellion wants non-violent civil disobedience to force governments to cut carbon emissions and avert a climate crisis it says will bring starvation and social collapse.
The group has been taking action in several countries including Britain, Germany, Austria, Australia, France and New Zealand since the start of the week.
Police in London have made more than 1,000 arrests.
The group wants Britain to reduce greenhouse gas emissions to net zero by 2025 rather than the government's 2050 target.
(Production: Ben Makori, Iona Serrapica)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None