- Title: United States threatens Turkey with 'very significant' sanctions
- Date: 11th October 2019
- Summary: WASHINGTON, D.C., UNITED STATES (OCTOBER 11, 2019) (REUTERS) U.S. TREASURY SECRETARY STEVE MNUCHIN ENTERING FOR BRIEFING (SOUNDBITE) (English) U.S. TREASURY SECRETARY STEVE MNUCHIN SAYING: "So I just met with President Trump and he has authorized and will be signing a new executive order giving the Treasury Department in consultation with himself and Secretary Pompeo very significant new sanctions authorities that can be targeted at any person associated with the government of Turkey, any portion of the government. This will be both primary sanctions and secondary sanctions that will be applicable. The President is concerned about the ongoing military offensive and potential targeting of civilians, civilian infrastructure, ethnic or religious minorities, and also, the President wants to make very clear it is imperative that Turkey not allow even a single ISIS fighter to escape." WHITE FLASH (SOUNDBITE) (English) U.S. TREASURY SECRETARY STEVE MNUCHIN SAYING: "These are very powerful sanctions. We hope we don't have to use them. But we can shut down the Turkish economy if we need to." MNUCHIN LEAVING
- Embargoed: 25th October 2019 19:11
- Keywords: U.S. Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin Donald Trump offensive new sanctions
- Location: WASHINGTON DC, UNITED STATES
- City: WASHINGTON DC, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001B0NNLMV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT CONTAINS WHITE FLASHES
U.S. Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said on Friday (October 11) that President Donald Trump had authorized U.S. officials to draft "very significant" new sanctions to target Turkey after it launched an offensive in northeast Syria, adding that banks were being notified.
Mnuchin said the United States was not activating the sanctions at this time but would do so if necessary.
"These are very powerful sanctions. We hope we don't have to use them, but we can shut down the Turkish economy if we need to," Mnuchin said.
Mnuchin said Trump was concerned about Turkey's potential targeting of civilians and wants to make clear that Turkey cannot "allow even a single ISIS fighter to escape."
(Production: Kristin Neubauer)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None