- Title: U.S. Representative Ocasio-Cortez joins Copenhagen climate protest
- Date: 11th October 2019
- Summary: VARIOUS OF CLIMATE ACTIVISTS DANCING IN THE RAINO
- Embargoed: 25th October 2019 19:03
- Keywords: People's Climate March C40 World Mayors Summit Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez climate change
- Location: COPENHAGEN, DENMARK
- City: COPENHAGEN, DENMARK
- Country: Denmark
- Topics: Environment,Climate Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA004B0NNC5J
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: U.S. Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez addressed hundreds of protesters gathered for a "People's Climate March" in Copenhagen on Friday (October 11) as mayors from 94 world cities, home to some 700 million people, met in the Danish capital to discuss their cities' green transitions.
A rising political star and leader of the progressive left, Ocasio-Cortez thanked the crowd for turning up outside Copenhagen's City Hall despite heavy rain before delivering a speech highly critical of U.S. President Donald Trump, Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro and wealthy polluters.
Ocasio-Cortez's bold stance on climate policy and her strong social media presence have launched her to celebrity status among progressives in the U.S. and around the world.
The sweeping climate policy resolution, "Green New Deal", unveiled earlier this year by Ocasio-Cortez and U.S. Senator Edward Markey, marked the first formal attempt by U.S. lawmakers to define potential legislation to create government-led investments in clean energy and infrastructure to transition the U.S. economy away from fossil fuels.
During the second day of the C40 World Mayors Summit in Copenhagen, mayors called for urgent global action to tackle climate change that could see hundreds of coastal metropolises swamped with water.
(Production: Mikael Nilsson, Ilze Filks)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.