- Title: Turkish artillery shells Syrian Kurdish militia targets
- Date: 11th October 2019
- Summary: AKCAKALE, TURKEY (OCTOBER 11, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF TURKISH HOWITZERS FIRING BEHIND FORTIFICATION/ EXPLOSIONS HEARD IN THE BACKGROUND TURKISH ARTILLERY AND MILITARY TENTS POSITIONED AT TURKEY-SYRIA BORDER TURKISH HOWITZERS FIRING/ EXPLOSION HEARD IN THE BACKGROUND ARTILLERY AND MILITARY TENTS AT BORDER HOWITZER FIRING/ EXPLOSION HEARD IN THE BACKGROUND RAS AL AIN, SYRIA (AS FILMED FROM CEYLANPINAR, TURKEY) (OCTOBER 11, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF SMOKE BILLOWING OUT AFTER TURKISH SHELLING
- Embargoed: 25th October 2019 15:52
- Keywords: artillery Operation Peace Spring howitzer Turkey Ras al Ain Akcakale Syria military operation smoke
- Location: AKCAKALE, TURKEY; RAS AL AIN, SYRIA (AS FILMED FROM CEYLANPINAR, TURKEY)
- City: AKCAKALE, TURKEY; RAS AL AIN, SYRIA (AS FILMED FROM CEYLANPINAR, TURKEY)
- Country: Turkey
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Military Conflicts,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA001B0NJPS7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Turkish howitzers shelled targets as Turkey stepped up its air and artillery strikes on Syrian Kurdish militia in northeast Syria on Friday (October 11). Turkish military offensive in Syria has drawn warnings of humanitarian catastrophe and turned Republican lawmakers against U.S. President Donald Trump.
Turkey says the purpose of its assault is to defeat the Kurdish YPG militia, which it sees as an enemy for its links to insurgents in Turkey.
It says it aims to set up a "safe zone" inside Syria, where it can resettle many of the 3.6 million refugees it has been hosting.
The Kurdish YPG is the main fighting element of the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) which have acted as the principal allies of the United States in a campaign that recaptured territory held by the Islamic State group.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None