- Title: Funeral held for Syrian baby killed in cross-border shelling
- Date: 11th October 2019
- Summary: AKCAKALE, TURKEY (OCTOBER 11, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF PEOPLE BEING SEARCHED BY POLICE AT SECURITY CHECKPOINT AS THEY ARRIVE FOR FUNERAL CEREMONY POLICEMAN MOUNTING SECURITY ON ROOFTOP VARIOUS OF PEOPLE BEING SEARCHED BY POLICE PEOPLE GATHERED IN FRONT OF THE COFFIN DRAPED IN TURKISH FLAG VARIOUS OF MEN PRAYING COFFIN BEING CARRIED ON SHOULDERS HEARSE DRIVING AWAY
- Embargoed: 25th October 2019 12:37
- Keywords: Turkey Syria military operation Operation Peace Spring funeral civilians Akcakale cross-border shelling
- Location: AKCAKALE, TURKEY
- City: AKCAKALE, TURKEY
- Country: Turkey
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Military Conflicts
- Reuters ID: LVA001B0NJO7B
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Funeral ceremony was held on Friday (October 11) for a 9-month-old Syrian baby killed in the border town of Akcakale during mortar and rocket fire from Syria.
Seven people were killed and 70 wounded during mortar and rocket fire from Syria into Turkish border towns, governors' offices of southeastern Turkish provinces said on Thursday (October 10).
Four people, including a Syrian baby identified as Mohammad Omar, were killed and 46 were wounded as shells hit the border towns of Akcakale and Ceylanpinar, Sanliurfa governor's office said in a statement. The shells that landed in Nusaybin district of southeast Mardin province killed three women and wounded 24 others, according to governor's office.
Turkey pressed its military offensive against U.S.-allied Kurdish fighters in northeast Syria, shelling towns and bombing targets from the air in an operation that could transform an eight-year-old war.
(Production: Yesim Dikmen)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None