- Title: France says EU summit will discuss Turkey sanctions next week
- Date: 11th October 2019
- Summary: CEYLANPINAR, TURKEY (OCTOBER 11, 2019) (REUTERS) CONVOY DRIVING BY SYRIAN REBEL WAVING ATOP PERSONNEL CARRIER
- Embargoed: 25th October 2019 10:28
- Keywords: Turkey Syria France conflict Amelie de Montchalin sanctions European Union
- Location: RAS AL AIN AND TEL ABYAD, SYRIA / PARIS, FRANCE / CEYLANPINAR, TURKEY
- City: RAS AL AIN AND TEL ABYAD, SYRIA / PARIS, FRANCE / CEYLANPINAR, TURKEY
- Country: France
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,International/National Security
- Reuters ID: LVA003B0NLBGN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Next week's European Union summit will discuss sanctions on Turkey over its action in Syria, French State Secretary for European Affairs Amelie de Montchalin said on Friday (October 11).
"It will be debated next week at the European council," de Montchalin said on France Inter radio. "We will not remain powerless when faced with a situation that is shocking for civilians, the free Syrian forces and the stability of the region," she said.
Turkey had launched a military operation against Kurdish fighters in northeast Syria on Wednesday (October 9) just days after U.S. troops pulled back from the area, with air strikes and artillery hitting YPG militia positions around the border town of Ras al Ain.
France, Britain and Germany had issued a statement earlier this week strongly condemning Turkey's offensive in northeastern Syria.
The move comes after a U.S. decision to withdraw from the region leaving Turkey to launch an offensive against Kurdish militants and rattling allies, including France, one of Washington's main partners in the U.S.-led coalition fighting Islamic State.
(Production: Martin Esposito, Ardee Napolitano)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None