- Title: Tear gas flies in Haiti as protesters demand ousting of president
- Date: 11th October 2019
- Summary: VARIOUS OF INJURED PROTESTER IN BACK OF POLICE PICK-UP TRUCK
- Embargoed: 25th October 2019 23:55
- Keywords: Hait protesters protests Port-au-Prince President Jovenel Moise
- Location: PORT-AU-PRINCE, HAITI
- City: PORT-AU-PRINCE, HAITI
- Country: Haiti
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA002B0NLR9J
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Tear gas in the streets of Port-au-Prince on Friday (October 11) as police sought to dislodge protesters from the street calling for the resignation of President Jovenel Moise.
Haiti, the poorest country in the Americas, has been rocked by violent protests in the last month that have led schools, public offices and businesses to close and forced non-governmental organisations to suspend aid distribution.
Opposition leaders and their supporters in the nation of 11 million are calling for the resignation of President Jovenel Moise, 51, amid anger over fuel and food shortages, a steep currency devaluation and corruption allegations.
This is the longest stretch of demonstrations against Moise since they broke out last year. At least 17 people have been killed and 189 injured, according to Haiti's National Network for the Defence of Human Rights.
(Production: Robenson Sanon, Paul Vieira)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: WARNING: Editors please note, this clip contains graphic material