- Title: Macron: cannot allow crisis between EU bodies after commissioner rejected
- Date: 11th October 2019
- Summary: PARIS, FRANCE (OCTOBER 11, 2019) (REUTERS) FRENCH PRESIDENT, EMMANUEL MACRON, WALKING OUT OF ELYSEE PRESIDENTIAL PALACE MACRON WAVING, STANDING BY STEPS REPUBLICAN GUARDS STANDING BY MACRON SHAKING HANDS WITH HUNGARIAN PRIME MINISTER, VIKTOR ORBAN, WALKING TOWARDS PODIUM MACRON AND ORBAN WALKING TOWARDS PODIUM / MACRON GREETING JOURNALISTS (SOUNDBITE) (French) FRENCH PRESIDENT, EMMANUEL MACRON, SAYING: "The Europe that unites us and the times in which we are living obliges us (to work together) more than ever. Indeed, we are experiencing an extremely important and sensitive time for Europe. There is a new (European) Commission, a new European Parliament that is coming to fruition, both of which are facing a political crisis that we should not let settle in and develop." REPUBLICAN GUARDS (SOUNDBITE) (French) FRENCH PRESIDENT, EMMANUEL MACRON, SAYING: "I believe in unity. I find it indispensable to find solutions. I find it indispensable to have a strong Commission that could bring forward ambitious projects." REPUBLICAN GUARD (SOUNDBITE) (Hungarian) HUNGARIAN PRIME MINISTER, VIKTOR ORBAN, SAYING (TRANSLATIONS PROVIDED BY ELYSEE): "We indeed have differences, but the president's office and the French president take pride in an infinite love for Hungary, since you put on the table important topics, and we greatly appreciate it. We all hope in Hungary that there will again be a great vision in Europe and that we could talk about the future that awaits us." FRENCH AND EUROPEAN FLAGS MACRON AND ORBAN WALKING UP STEPS, POSING FOR PHOTOGRAPHERS, WALKING INTO ELYSEE VARIOUS OF MACRON AND ORBAN MEETING
- Embargoed: 25th October 2019 14:07
- Keywords: France Hungary Emmanuel Macron Viktor Orban Elysee presidential palace meeting Paris
- Location: PARIS, FRANCE
- City: PARIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001B0NM4P3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT CAN BE USED IN CONJUNCTION WITH EDIT 4244-EU-COMMISSION/GOULARD-MACRON
French President Emmanuel Macron said on Friday that one must not let a crisis settle in between the European Union commission and the separate EU parliament, following the rejection this week of France's candidate to run EU industrial policy.
"We must not allow for a European political crisis to settle in," Macron said at a meeting with Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban in Paris.
Macron's comments came a day after European lawmakers rejected the candidacy of French politician Sylvie Goulard - chosen by Macron - to be head of EU industrial policy.
Orban said despite the differences he has with Macron on various European policies, he wishes a "great vision" for Europe, adding he is open to discussions on the future of the bloc.
(Production: Noemie Olive, Kathryn Carlson, Ardee Napolitano)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None