- Title: Police make mass arrests in Brussels during climate protest
- Date: 12th October 2019
- Summary: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM (OCTOBER 12, 2019) (REUTERS) CLIMATE CHANGE PROTESTER BEING HELD TO GROUND IN HEADLOCK BY POLICE OFFICER DURING ARREST CLIMATE CHANGE PROTESTERS CHANTING (English): "Shame on you! Shame on you!" VARIOUS OF CLIMATE CHANGE PROTESTER BEING ARRESTED BY POLICE PROTESTERS SITTING HAND IN HAND AROUND PINK BOAT POLICE ARRESTING CLIMATE CHANGE PROTESTER ON BOAT / MAN FALLS GETTING OFF BOAT DURING ARREST VARIOUS OF CLIMATE CHANGE PROTESTERS BEING ARRESTED PEOPLE LOOKING ON AND RECORDING ON MOBILE PHONES, POLICE CORDONING OFF AREA VARIOUS OF CLIMATE CHANGE PROTESTERS BEING ARRESTED VARIOUS OF ARRESTED CLIMATE CHANGE PROTESTERS BEING LED AWAY BY POLICE VARIOUS OF CLIMATE CHANGE PROTESTERS SITTING ON GROUND CLIMATE CHANGE PROTESTERS BEING ARRESTED CLIMATE CHANGE PROTESTER ATTACHED TO BOAT USING BICYCLE LOCK CLIMATE CHANGE PROTESTER BEING ARRESTED POLICE COVERING CLIMATE CHANGE PROTESTER WITH BLANKET VARIOUS OF POLICE USING TOOLS TO CUT BIKE LOCK ARRESTED CLIMATE CHANGE PROTESTERS SAT ON GROUND, POLICE STANDING
- Embargoed: 26th October 2019 19:19
- Keywords: Climate protest Belgium police Extinction Rebelion
- Location: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM
- City: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM
- Country: Belgium
- Topics: Environment,Climate Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001B0SL2KN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Belgian police arrested large numbers of climate protesters in Brussels on Saturday (October 12) as mass demonstrations by the Extinction Rebellion group entered into day six.
A Reuters journalist at the protest reported seeing dozens of arrests being made while demonstrators gathered around a pink boat with at least one climate activist using a bike lock to attach himself to the vessel. Police officers at the scene used heavy-duty cutting tools to remove the lock from around the man's neck before arresting him.
Earlier in the day activists staged a protest next to the gardens of the Royal Palace calling on the King to declare a climate emergency.
Organisers said that the Belgian government had failed to act on climate and they decided to demand that the King - who traditionally avoids meddling in domestic politics and does not hold legislative power - acknowledges the gravity of the climate crisis and officially declares an environmental state of emergency.
According to police, 600 protestors massed at the Place de Palais in Brussels, heavily secured by police.
Extinction Rebellion rose to prominence when activists brought central London, Britain, to a stand-still in 2018. This year, protests have spread across the world in tandem with other environmentalist movements such as the Youth4Climate School Strike. 'Die-ins' and street parties have sprung up at roadblocks from Melbourne, Australia to Berlin, Germany, as thousands have taken to the streets.
(Production: Christian Levaux, Aiden Nulty)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None