- Title: Scandal over justice minister galvanizes South Koreans at protests
- Date: 12th October 2019
- Summary: PROTESTER HOLDING CANDLELIGHT AND BANNER READING (Korean): "PROTECT CHO KUK/ REFORM PROSECUTION"
- Embargoed: 26th October 2019 14:30
- Keywords: South Korea Justice Minister Cho Kuk protest rally Seoul political scandal prosecution reform
- Location: SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA
- City: SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA
- Country: South Korea
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA002B0SI2BR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Protesters took to the streets in the South Korean capital Seoul on Saturday (October 12) to stage demonstrations both in support of, and in opposition to, new justice minister, Cho Kuk.
The protests have occurred amid a growing corruption scandal over the new minister.
Allegations of corruption against Cho Kuk's family has led to major counter-demonstrations from the liberal end of the political spectrum, who see the investigation into Cho as politically motivated and are calling on the Moon administration to follow through with promised reforms.
The reforms include more oversight of prosecutors' investigations, barring overly prolonged or late interrogations, and limiting investigations from spilling over into other probes, according to the Justice Ministry.
Both conservative and liberal groups have staged large demonstrations, with each side providing competing claims over the size of their crowds.
Cho's family is facing probes into irregular investments and his children's' favourable treatment in university admission.
Cho has not denied the allegations against his family members, but has apologised for disappointing the people and said he was still committed to reforming the prosecutors' office.
(Production: Daewoung Kim, Minwoo Park)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Footage contains photographs or artwork. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing this clip.