- Title: Turkey's offensive into northern Syria rumbles on - wrap
- Date: 12th October 2019
- Summary: TURKISH INCURSION INTO SYRIA AN 'INVASION OF ARAB LAND': ARAB LEAGUE CAIRO, EGYPT (OCTOBER 12, 2019) (REUTERS) ***WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** ARAB LEAGUE EMERGENCY MEETING IN SESSION (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) SECRETARY GENERAL OF THE ARAB LEAGUE, AHMED ABOUL GHEIT, ON TURKISH INCURSION INTO SYRIA, SAYING: "It only has one name, which is invasion and aggression. An invasion of the land of an Arab country, and an aggression on its sovereignty. It is a condemned invasion, which must not be overlooked in the world. No matter the pretexts given by the invader, the aggression remain an aggression. One that is refused, condemned, standing outside the legitimacies and rules of international law." TURKISH-LED FORCES ENTER SYRIAN BORDER TOWN RAS AL AIN, FIGHTING RAGES RAS AL AIN, SYRIA (AS FILMED FROM CEYLANPINAR, TURKEY) (OCTOBER 12, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF SMOKE BILLOWING OUT AFTER TURKISH SHELLING ON SYRIAN BORDER TOWN RAS AL AIN/ AUDIO OF EXPLOSIONS HEARD IN THE BACKGROUND CEYLANPINAR, TURKEY (OCTOBER 12, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF TURKISH ARMOURED MILITARY CONVOY DRIVING TO SYRIAN BORDER
- Embargoed: 26th October 2019 15:15
- Keywords: Iran border town Turkey Ras al Ain Putin Syria explosions Zarif Arab league military operation into northern Syria Kurdish militia US border Syrian rebels
- Location: SOCHI, RUSSIA / CAIRO, EGYPT / TEHRAN, IRAN / RAS AL AIN, TAL TASLMER, SYRIA (AS FILMED FROM CEYLANPINAR, AKCAKALE, CEYLANPINAR,TURKEY) / SAID TO BE RAS AL AIN / RAS AL AIN, NEAR KOBANI, SYRIA/ SOCHI, RUSSIA
- City: SOCHI, RUSSIA / CAIRO, EGYPT / TEHRAN, IRAN / RAS AL AIN, TAL TASLMER, SYRIA (AS FILMED FROM CEYLANPINAR, AKCAKALE, CEYLANPINAR,TURKEY) / SAID TO BE RAS AL AIN / RAS AL AIN, NEAR KOBANI, SYRIA/ SOCHI, RUSSIA
- Country: Various
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Military Conflicts,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA009B0SKBPJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:THIS VIDEO IS A HIGHLIGHTS WRAP OF MATERIAL THAT HAS ALREADY BEEN MOVED. IT DOES NOT CONTAIN ANY FRESH MATERIAL
Turkish-backed Syrian rebels seized control of the centre of the Syrian border town of Ras al Ain town on Saturday (October 12), a senior Turkish security official said, as Turkey's offensive against a Kurdish militia in the region entered its fourth day.
The United States has ramped up its efforts to persuade Ankara to halt the offensive against the U.S.-backed Kurdish YPG forces, saying Ankara was causing "great harm" to ties and could face sanctions.
Turkey launched its incursion after U.S. President Donald Trump spoke by phone on Sunday (October 6) with Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan and withdrew U.S. troops who had been fighting alongside Kurdish forces.
More than 100,000 people from the towns of Ras al Ain and Tal Abyad have been displaced by the escalation of violence in Syria, the U.N. World Food Programme said on Saturday.
(Production: Paul Warren, Tara Oakes)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None