- Title: Turkey's offensive into northern Syria rumbles on - wrap
- Date: 12th October 2019
- Summary: RAS AL AIN, SYRIA (AS FILMED FROM CEYLANPINAR, TURKEY) (OCTOBER 12, 2019) (REUTERS) TWO SIMULTANEOUS EXPLOSIONS BILLOWING SMOKE / EXPLOSION SMOKE RISING ABOVE BUILDINGS CONVOY OF TOW TRUCKS CARRYING TANKS DRIVING TOWARDS TURKEY'S BORDER WITH SYRIA AKCAKALE, TURKEY (OCTOBER 12, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF ARMOURED MILITARY VEHICLES DRIVING PAST CONVOY DRIVING TOWARDS SYRIAN BORDER
- Embargoed: 26th October 2019 15:15
- Keywords: Iran border town Turkey Ras al Ain Putin Syria explosions Zarif Arab league military operation into northern Syria Kurdish militia US border Syrian rebels
- Location: SOCHI, RUSSIA / CAIRO, EGYPT / TEHRAN, IRAN / RAS AL AIN, TAL TASLMER, SYRIA (AS FILMED FROM CEYLANPINAR, AKCAKALE, CEYLANPINAR,TURKEY) / SAID TO BE RAS AL AIN / RAS AL AIN, NEAR KOBANI, SYRIA/ SOCHI, RUSSIA
- City: SOCHI, RUSSIA / CAIRO, EGYPT / TEHRAN, IRAN / RAS AL AIN, TAL TASLMER, SYRIA (AS FILMED FROM CEYLANPINAR, AKCAKALE, CEYLANPINAR,TURKEY) / SAID TO BE RAS AL AIN / RAS AL AIN, NEAR KOBANI, SYRIA/ SOCHI, RUSSIA
- Country: Various
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Military Conflicts,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA001B0SKBPJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:THIS VIDEO IS A HIGHLIGHTS WRAP OF MATERIAL THAT HAS ALREADY BEEN MOVED. IT DOES NOT CONTAIN ANY FRESH MATERIAL
Turkish-backed Syrian rebels seized control of the centre of the Syrian border town of Ras al Ain town on Saturday (October 12), a senior Turkish security official said, as Turkey's offensive against a Kurdish militia in the region entered its fourth day.
The United States has ramped up its efforts to persuade Ankara to halt the offensive against the U.S.-backed Kurdish YPG forces, saying Ankara was causing "great harm" to ties and could face sanctions.
Turkey launched its incursion after U.S. President Donald Trump spoke by phone on Sunday (October 6) with Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan and withdrew U.S. troops who had been fighting alongside Kurdish forces.
More than 100,000 people from the towns of Ras al Ain and Tal Abyad have been displaced by the escalation of violence in Syria, the U.N. World Food Programme said on Saturday.
(Production: Paul Warren, Tara Oakes)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None