- Title: Mozambique's Nyusi promises stability, security in final election rally
- Date: 12th October 2019
- Summary: VARIOUS OF MOZAMBICAN PRESIDENT AND FRELIMO PARTY LEADER FILIPE NYUSI ARRIVING AT RALLY/ NYUSI WAVING AT SUPPORTERS WOMEN WEARING FRELIMO PARTY BRANDED CLOTHING SEATED WOMEN CHANTING SUPPORT FOR FRELIMO (SOUNDBITE) (Portuguese) MOZAMBICAN PRESIDENT AND FRELIMO PARTY LEADER, FILIPE NYUSI, SAYING: "With 44 years of governance (since independence), during the campaign we showed that we have the best programme for the best solutions. We are the political party that is best prepared to continue on the path to making Mozambique a country of peace, security, public order, political stability, tolerance, social harmony, democracy and national unity, for an economic development that is sustainable and inclusive. Our programme promotes national unity, peace and progress, with measures that promote social justice, ethical government and fighting corruption." NYUSI AND SUPPORTERS CHANTING: "Frelimo, Nyusi, Frelimo!" (SOUNDBITE) (Portuguese) MOZAMBICAN PRESIDENT AND FRELIMO PARTY LEADER, FILIPE NYUSI, SAYING: "We want to continue to uphold security for citizens by speaking out against domestic violence, the abuse of power. Those who speak out against corruption, we will protect them. We have said it before, there is no such thing as small, medium or big levels of corruption. You've all seen this, courageous acts by Mozambicans who have sought to solve (this problem of corruption). For us, the corrupt were not born corrupt, there is no set definition for someone who is corrupt. We will stop those who are corrupt, we will bring them to justice. If they can defend themselves then they get off, if not then they will be sentenced in accordance with the corrupt act that they committed." NYUSI DANCING WITH FRELIMO SUPPORTERS VARIOUS OF FRELIMO SUPPORTERS WALKING AT RALLY
- Embargoed: 26th October 2019 21:23
- Keywords: Mozambique election rally Frelimo party Filipe Nyusi
- Location: MATOLA AND MAPUTO, MOZAMBIQUE
- City: MATOLA AND MAPUTO, MOZAMBIQUE
- Country: Mozambique
- Topics: Government/Politics,Elections/Voting
- Reuters ID: LVA002B0SL3D3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: At the final election rally for Mozambique's Frelimo party on Saturday (October 12), President Filipe Nyusi danced on stage and promised voters his government, if re-elected, would bring stability, security and put an end to corruption.
Thousands of supporters wearing t-shirts in the Frelimo party's signature colour, red, gathered at a stadium ahead general elections scheduled for October 15.
The Frelimo party's show of force ahead of presidential, provincial and legislative elections could signal problems for the main opposition party, Renamo, and also threaten a peace agreement signed between the two civil war rivals in August.
While Nyusi is all but certain to be re-elected president, the peace deal has given Renamo hope of winning more political power in a country dominated by Frelimo since the southern African country's independence from Portugal in 1975.
Nyusi's credibility has been knocked by an Islamist insurgency and a graft scandal that sank the economy, but Frelimo holds numerous districts in Sofala following local elections last year, and dozens of people told Reuters the ruling party had their vote.
(Production: Emiidio Josine, Sisipho Skweyiya)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None