- Title: Stern security for Sri Lanka team in Pakistan, rain abandons 1st ODI
- Date: 28th September 2019
- Summary: SRI LANKAN PLAYERS PRACTICING
- Embargoed: 12th October 2019 15:04
- Keywords: Pakistan Sri Lanka cricket Lahiru Thirimanne Sarfaraz Ahmed terror attack
- Location: KARACHI, LAHORE, PAKISTAN
- City: KARACHI, LAHORE, PAKISTAN
- Country: India
- Topics: Cricket,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA002AYKMUKV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT CONTAINS SOME MATERIAL THAT WAS ORIGINALLY 4:3
The opening ODI between host Pakistan and visiting Sri Lanka at the heavily guarded National Stadium in Karachi was called off due to the heavy rain that lashed the city on Friday (September 27).
Sri Lanka is visiting Pakistan after Islamabad pledged the same level of security to their players as is provided to visiting heads of state.
Major international teams have avoided touring Pakistan since a 2009 militant attack on Sri Lanka's team bus in Lahore left six security personnel and two civilians dead while six players were injured.
Pakistan have been forced to play most of their 'home' matches in the United Arab Emirates, but have hosted teams such as Zimbabwe and West Indies in recent years.
Sri Lanka are scheduled to play three one-day internationals and three Twenty20 matches in Pakistan between Sept. 27 and Oct. 9, but 10 key Sri Lankan players have already opted out of the series, citing security concerns.
The future of the tour was in jeopardy last week when SLC said it was reassessing the security situation in Pakistan after receiving a warning "of a possible terrorist threat" to its team.
On Thursday (September 26) Sri Lanka captain Lahiru Thirimanne urged satisfaction over security arrangements while Pakistani skipper Sarfaraz Ahmed requested the support of more cricket-playing nations for the revival of international matches on home soil.
The remaining two one-dayers will also be held in Karachi on Sunday and Wednesday, while the three Twenty20 internationals will be played in Lahore on Oct. 5, 7 and 9.
(PRODUCTION: Waseem Sattar, Shahabuddin Shahab)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.