- Title: Fashion designer Ralph Lauren celebrates 80th birthday
- Date: 14th October 2019
- Summary: NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES (FILE - JUNE 7, 2016) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF RALPH LAUREN STORE
- Embargoed: 28th October 2019 07:55
- Keywords: Ralph Lauren Birthday Fashion Designer
- Location: NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES / LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM / TOKYO, JAPAN
- City: NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES / LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM / TOKYO, JAPAN
- Country: Various
- Topics: Celebrities,Arts / Culture / Entertainment
- Reuters ID: LVA007B13MXY1
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Top fashion designer Ralph Lauren turns 80 on Monday (October 14).
Lauren started the Ralph Lauren Corporation with his own line of men's ties at the age of 28 and a year later in 1968 he released his first full line of menswear named "Polo".
In 1971 the designer opened the first ever retail Polo Ralph Lauren store on Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills.
Lauren was chosen to dress the male cast of Robert Redford's "The Great Gatsby" in his Polo line in 1974.
The Ralph Lauren Corporation went international in 1981 with a store opening in London's West End and the company now operated over 400 stores worldwide.
The fashion house celebrated its 50th anniversary with a celebrity-filled gala in Manhattan's Central Park in 2018.
In addition to his successes in fashion, Lauren is also knows for his philanthropy and collection of classic and rare cars.
(Production: Marissa Davison)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None