- Title: Turks celebrate reports of rebels taking control of Tel Abyad
- Date: 13th October 2019
- Summary: AKCAKALE, TURKEY (OCTOBER 13, 2019) (REUTERS) PEOPLE GATHERED FOR CELEBRATIONS / CAR EMBELLISHED WITH TURKISH AND OTTOMAN FLAGS DRIVING IN STREET VARIOUS OF MEN IN STREET, SOME HEARD SAYING: "IT (TEL ABYAD) HAS FALLEN" MEN STANDING IN STREET / ONE OF THE DEMONSTRATORS SAYING (Turkish): "WE ARE HERE. WE STAND BY OUR GOVERNMENT. WE ARE HERE TILL DEATH" MAN HOLDING TURKISH FLAG / CAR BLARING HORN CAR DRIVING AS MEN WAVING TURKISH FLAGS PEOPLE CELEBRATING WITH TURKISH FLAGS DEMONSTRATORS ON MOTORCYLES CLAD WITH TURKISH FLAGS MAN FILMING ON MOBILE AND SAYING (Turkish): "EVERYTHING IS FOR TURKEY" (SOUNDBITE) (Turkish) AKCAKALE RESIDENT, TAHIR TOPDEMIR, SAYING: "Thanks to God, Tel Abyad has fallen, it is over but this cause will not be over here. Our mission is 'Red Apple' (Symbol of Turkish nationalists), Kirkuk and Mosul are ours." CONVOY OF DEMONSTRATORS BLARING HORNS TEL ABYAD, SYRIA (AS FILMED FROM AKCAKALE, TURKEY) (OCTOBER 13, 2019) (REUTERS) MACHINE GUN MOUNTED TRUCK IN AN EMPTY STREET OF TEL ABYAD TURKEY-BACKED SYRIAN REBELS PATROLLING IN STREET REBELS DRIVING IN STREET
- Embargoed: 27th October 2019 14:21
- Keywords: Turkey Syria military operations border town Akcakale celebrations Tel Abyad Operation Peace Spring
- Location: AKCAKALE, TURKEY/ TEL ABYAD, SYRIA (AS FILMED FROM AKCAKALE, TURKEY)
- City: AKCAKALE, TURKEY/ TEL ABYAD, SYRIA (AS FILMED FROM AKCAKALE, TURKEY)
- Country: Turkey
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Military Conflicts
- Reuters ID: LVA001B0XIKAV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Residents of the border town of Akcakale flocked to the streets on Sunday (October 13) to celebrate reports of Turkish-led forces taking control of Tel Abyad across the frontier.
Around 100 people waved Turkish flags in street as cars and motorcycles blared horns.
Tel Abyad is a town on the Syrian border and one of the main focal points of the offensive against the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces.
The Turkish army and its Syrian rebel allies advanced into the center of the Syrian town of Tel Abyad on Sunday where the situation was calm and they were conducting search operations, a Reuters witness said.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a UK-based organization that reports on the conflict, said Turkey and its allies were in almost complete control of the town.
(Production: Mehmet Emin Caliskan, Omer Berberoglu, Deniz Uyar)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None