- Title: Turkish-led forces pursue assault around Syrian border towns
- Date: 13th October 2019
- Summary: RAS AL AIN, SYRIA (AS SEEN FROM CEYLANPINAR, TURKEY) (OCTOBER 13, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF PLUMES OF SMOKE RISING FROM THE AREA / AUDIO OF EXPLOSIONS HEARD IN THE BACKGROUND
- Embargoed: 27th October 2019 07:04
- Keywords: Turkey Syria Ras Al Ain military opetration Syrian Kurds
- Location: RAS AL AIN, SYRIA (AS SEEEN FROM CEYLANPINAR, TURKEY)
- City: RAS AL AIN, SYRIA (AS SEEEN FROM CEYLANPINAR, TURKEY)
- Country: Syria
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Military Conflicts
- Reuters ID: LVA001B0XIERR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Plumes of smoke rose from Syria's Ras al Ain on Sunday (October 13) as Turkish forces targeted areas around two Syrian border towns with fresh shelling, pressing on with their offensive against a Kurdish militia for a fifth day.
Turkey is facing threats of possible sanctions from the United States unless it calls off the incursion, while the Arab League has denounced the operation and NATO allies Germany and France said they were halting weapons exports to Turkey.
Ankara launched the cross-border assault against the YPG militia after U.S President Donald Trump withdrew some U.S. troops from the border region. Turkey says the YPG is a terrorist group aligned with Kurdish militants in Turkey.
Gunfire and explosions resounded early on Sunday around Ras al Ain, one of two Syrian towns which are the focus of the attack, while Turkish artillery continued to target the area, said a Reuters reporter across the border in the Turkish town of Ceylanpinar.
Turkish-backed Syrian rebels advanced into Ras al Ain on Saturday. Turkey has said it took control of the town centre, while Kurdish-led forces denied that and said they were counter-attacking.
(Production: Mert Ozkan)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None