- Title: Hong Kong protesters, police in chaotic clashes as metro, shops targeted
- Date: 13th October 2019
- Summary: TSUEN WAN, HONG KONG, CHINA (OCTOBER 13, 2019) (REUTERS) (NIGHT SHOTS) PROTESTERS BREAKING WINDOW PANE OF BANK OF CHINA BRANCH PROTESTERS WALKING AROUND BANK VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS SETTING ATM MACHINES ABLAZE LOGO OF BANK OF CHINA / ATM MACHINES ON FIRE PROTESTER ATTEMPTING TO PUT OUT TEAR GAS SMOKE VARIOUS OF RIOT POLICE HOLDING BANNER WARNING OF TEAR GAS TEAR GAS IN STREET MONG KOK, HONG KONG, CHINA (OCTOBER 13, 2019) (REUTERS) (NIGHT SHOTS) BANK OF CHINA BRANCH WITH GRAFFITI READING (English): "WHO DO YOU CALL WHEN THE POLICE MURDER" TOURISTS STANDING AND TALKING (SOUNDBITE) (English) 29-YEAR OLD VISITOR FROM RUSSIA, GENIA KOLOMIETS, SAYING: "Well yeah, it's a little scary because it was all normal five minutes ago and then all of a sudden the shops shut down and the roads are getting blocked and there was a lot of police are coming. People are peaceful for the first kind of few minutes but then the violence escalates a bit and you can feel this tension with everyone, so a bit putting you off the course kind of." (SOUNDBITE) (English) 18-YEAR-OLD VISITOR FROM GERMANY, DOING TWO MONTHS INTERNSHIP, IDA BROCK, SAYING: "Well, probably the biggest issue is the public transport, so there has been four MTR lock downs in the past two weeks and obviously other violence on the street has been quite big and I actually have a friend who got the tear gas into his eyes, so he's been injured. Besides that, there hasn't been any big issues for me." VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS BLOCKING ROAD SHA TIN, HONG KONG, CHINA (OCTOBER 13, 2019) (REUTERS) PROTESTERS BREAKING INTO A GENKI SUSHI CHAIN STORE AND DAMAGING THE PROPERTY PROTESTERS BREAKING WINDOW PANES VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS DAMAGING THE INSIDE OF THE STORE GLASS SHARDS ON GROUND VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS KICKING BOARDS COVERING STORE ENTRANCE MONG KOK, HONG KONG, CHINA (OCTOBER 13, 2019) (REUTERS) (NIGHT SHOTS) VARIOUS OF POLICE HOLDING BLUE BANNER POLICE USING PEPPER SPRAY ON PROTESTER POLICE HOLDING PEPPER SPRAY CAN VARIOUS OF POLICE ARRESTING PROTESTERS
- Embargoed: 27th October 2019 13:59
- Keywords: Hong Kong china protesters demonstration fire ablaze democracy
- Location: HONG KONG, CHINA
- City: HONG KONG, CHINA
- Country: Hong Kong
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001B0XHWLJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Hong Kong pro-democracy activists and riot police clashed in chaotic scenes around the city on Sunday (October 13) with protesters setting ATM machines ablaze and vandalising stores believed to have links to China.
Several rallies in shopping malls started peacefully around midday with a few hundred people at each chanting slogans such as "Free Hong Kong", but by late afternoon hardcore black-clad activists trashed shops and metro stations and erected road blocks around the city.
Police made numerous arrests and deployed tear gas to disperse protesters, saying they used "minimum force". Television footage showed shoppers screaming and some injured when police charged inside a mall.
In one mall, a group of riot police, shields out front and pepper spray canisters in-hand, were forced to retreat backwards by chanting shoppers until they were outside of the mall.
Hong Kong has been battered by four months of often massive and violent protests against what is seen as Beijing's tightening grip on the Chinese-ruled city.
(Production: Ronn Bautista, Joyce Zhou, Xihao Jiang, Aleksander Solum, Yuddy Cahya Budiman, Juarawee Kittisilpa)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None