- Title: Mortar shells land on Turkish side of border with Syria
- Date: 13th October 2019
- Summary: AKCAKALE, TURKEY (OCTOBER 13, 2019) (REUTERS) BUILDING FACADE DRAPED WITH TURKISH FLAG WITH A HOLE IN ITS FRONT / PEOPLE AND SECURITY OFFICERS IN THE STREET HOLE IN THE BUILDING / PEOPLE SEEN THROUGH THE HOLE MORE OF THE HOLE BUILDING FACADE TURKISH POLICE VEHICLES IN THE STREET SMOKE RISING IN THE DISTANCE ON THE SYRIAN SIDE OF THE BORDER FLAMES SEEN RISING FROM BEHIND FENCED WALL ON THE SYRIAN SIDE MORE OF THE FLAMES AND SMOKE RISING SMOKE RISING FROM SYRIAN SIDE OF THE BORDER TURKISH MILITARY ARMOURED PERSONNEL CARRIER DRIVING
- Embargoed: 27th October 2019 09:29
- Keywords: Syrian Kurds Turkey Ras Al Ain Syria explosions military operation mortar shells Tel Abyad smoke
- Location: AKCAKALE, TURKEY
- City: AKCAKALE, TURKEY
- Country: Turkey
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Military Conflicts,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA001B0XIGCN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:A mortar shell hit a building at the Turkish border town of Akcakale, but there were no casualties, the private Demiroren News Agency reported on Sunday (October 13). It said a Syrian family who lived in it had been evacuated. Video footage showed the damaged facade and security forces on the street and heavy smoke and flames rising from the Syrian side of the border.
Ankara launched the cross-border assault against the Kurdish YPG militia last week after U.S President Donald Trump withdrew some U.S. troops from the border region. Turkey says the YPG is a terrorist group aligned with Kurdish militants in Turkey.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a UK-based organisation that reports on the war, said 74 Kurdish-led fighters, 49 Turkey-backed Syrian rebels and 30 civilians have been killed in the fighting.
In Turkey, 18 civilians have been killed in cross-border bombardment, Turkish media and officials say.
(Production: Mehmet Caliskan, Yesim Dikmen, Ayat Basma, Deniz Uyar)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None