- Title: Israelis protest against Turkish offensive into Syria
- Date: 13th October 2019
- Summary: TEL AVIV, ISRAEL (OCTOBER 13, 2019) (REUTERS) PROTESTERS GATHERED IN PROTEST AGAINST TURKISH OFFENSIVE INTO SYRIA, DRUMMING AND HOLDING UP SIGNS PROTESTERS HOLDING SIGNS READING (English): " STOP THE GENOCIDE OF THE KURDISH PEOPLE", "U.S.: STOP THE BLOODSHED." VARIOUS OF PROTESTER HOLDING SIGN IN FRONT OF TURKISH EMBASSY READING (English): "STAND WITH THE KURDS" / TURKISH FLAG ON TOP OF BUILDING VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS CHANTING PROTESTER HOLDING SIGN READING (English): "FREEDOM FOR ROJAVA" (SOUNDBITE) (English) PROTESTER, BURLA AVISHAY, SAYING: "We are demonstrating against the attack of the Turkish, against the Kurds people in North Syria. As Jewish we cannot stand in silence while there is such an attack against the Kurds and other minorities in North Syria, and we think that this attack must be stopped, and we call for all the nations in Europe and big nations in the world to stop this attack." JERUSALEM (OCTOBER 12, 2019) (REUTERS) (NIGHT SHOTS) PROTESTERS GATHERED IN DEMONSTRATION AGAINST TURKISH OFFENSIVE INTO SYRIA PROTESTER HOLDING SIGN READING (English): "NO MORE WAR" PROTESTERS CARRYING KURDISH FLAG AND CHANTING IN PROTEST (SOUNDBITE) (Hebrew) ONE OF THE PROTESTERS, MEYTAR DOOGA, SAYING: "We have come here to support a people that for years has suffered from massacres, from cruel murder, whether in Iraq, or in Iran where citizens there, Kurdish citizens, are hung, whether in Syria where we are not exposed to, seeing all the horrific acts, children getting murdered by the tyrant Erdogan, that same person who preaches morality to us, preaches about murder while he murders and massacres the Kurdish people. We are here to say enough. Enough of killing them." VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS AT PROTEST PROTESTER FLYING KURDISH FLAG
- Embargoed: 27th October 2019 12:41
- Keywords: Israel Kurds Turkey protests Turkish offensive into northern Syria
- Location: TEL AVIV, ISRAEL/JERUSALEM
- City: TEL AVIV, ISRAEL/JERUSALEM
- Country: Israel
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA001B0XJ6FB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: AUDIO QUALITY AS INCOMING
Dozens of Israelis staged protests in Tel Aviv and Jerusalem over the weekend against the Turkish invasion into northern Syria.
Protesters gathered in front of the Turkish embassy in Tel Aviv on Sunday (October 13) holding up signs that read "Stop the genocide of the Kurdish people" and "U.S.: STOP THE BLOODSHED", while on Saturday (October 12) protesters in Jerusalem waved the Kurdish flag and called for "No more war".
Turkish forces stepped up their bombardment around a town in northeast Syria on Saturday, the fourth day of an offensive against a Kurdish militia, after U.S. troops in the region came under artillery fire from Turkish positions.
Turkey opened its offensive after U.S. President Donald Trump spoke by phone on Sunday with Turkey's President Tayyip Erdogan and withdrew U.S. troops who had been fighting alongside Kurdish forces. On Friday (October 11) evening, Erdogan dismissed mounting international criticism of the operation and said Turkey "will not stop it, no matter what anyone says".
The civilian death toll resulting from Turkey's offensive into northern Syria has risen to 30, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said on Saturday.
The Syrian Kurdish-led administration in northeastern Syria said on Saturday that 191,069 people have been displaced as a result of Turkish military operations. The United Nations on Friday estimated some 100,000 people had left their homes in northern Syria since the offensive began on Wednesday (October 9).
(Production: Suheir Sheikh, Ran Tzabar, Sinan Aby Mayzer)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None