- Title: Night falls in flood hit central Japan
- Date: 13th October 2019
- Summary: NAGANO CITY, JAPAN (OCTOBER 13, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF TRUCK IN WATER TOWN FLOODED JAPAN'S SELF DEFENSE FORCE (SDF) HELICOPTER IN SKY TO RESCUE AMBULANCE ARRIVING FOR PEOPLE RESCUED VARIOUS OF PEOPLE WRAPPED WITH BLANKET VARIOUS OF AMBULANCE AND FIREFIGHTERS' CARS PEOPLE AT EVACUATION CENTRE VARIOUS OF PEOPLE TAKING FOOD AND BLANKETS EVACUEES EATING (SOUNDBITE) (Japanese) EVACUEE, KIYOKAZU SHIMOKAWA, SAYING: "I had an optimistic thought that I'd be fine if I stayed on the second floor, so I was late to evacuate. When I tried to evacuate, water had come in immediately." EVACUEES (SOUNDBITE) (Japanese) EVACUEE, RIE HASEGAWA, SAYING: "Water came in immediately, and I felt water gradually went up in dark, it was scary and I was worried about our lives. I even thought that might be the end." VARIOUS OF PHONES BEING CHARGED EVACUATION CENTRE SIGN READING (Japanese): "EVACUATION CENTRE"
- Embargoed: 27th October 2019 11:31
- Keywords: Nagano floods Typhoon Hagibis
- Location: NAGANO, JAPAN
- City: NAGANO, JAPAN
- Country: Japan
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents,Wind/Hurricane/Typhoons/Tornadoes,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA001B0XHV0N
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Parts of Japan were flooded on Sunday (October 13) in the wake of powerful Typhoon Hagibis which has killed 26 people with 18 more still missing.
In Nagano City, which was inundated after the Chikuma River flooded due to the torrential rain, Japan's Self-Defense Force (SDF) deployed helicopters to rescue residents. As night fell, they took shelter in facilities on higher ground.
Authorities have lifted rain and flood warnings for the Kanto region around a becalmed Tokyo as the typhoon ploughed up Japan's northeast coast and authorities raced to assess the damage.
Hagibis, which means "speed" in the Philippine language Tagalog, made landfall on Japan's main island of Honshu on Saturday evening. A magnitude 5.7 earthquake shook Tokyo shortly after.
(Production: Kwiyeon Ha, Masako Iijima)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None