- Title: Erdogan says Turkish-led offensive to extend further along Syrian border - wrap
- Date: 13th October 2019
- Summary: VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS HOLDING BANNERS READING (Arabic): 'Death for the criminal Erdogan' VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS WAVING FLAGS WHILST STANDING IN FRONT OF BANNER
- Embargoed: 27th October 2019 14:51
- Keywords: Syrian Kurdish militia Syrian National Army urkey funeral Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan Pope Ras Al Ain Syria military operation Tel Abyad
- Location: WASHINGTON, D.C. UNITED STATES / INTERNET / SOCHI, RUSSIA / BEIRUT, LEBANON / DERIK, SAID TO BE HASAKA, TEL ABYAD, SYRIA / VATICAN CITY / ISTANBUL, TURKEY / TEL AVIV, ISRAEL
- City: WASHINGTON, D.C. UNITED STATES / INTERNET / SOCHI, RUSSIA / BEIRUT, LEBANON / DERIK, SAID TO BE HASAKA, TEL ABYAD, SYRIA / VATICAN CITY / ISTANBUL, TURKEY / TEL AVIV, ISRAEL
- Country: Various
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA00GB0XKFGN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT CONTAINS EXTREMELY GRAPHIC IMAGES
THIS VIDEO IS A HIGHLIGHTS WRAP OF MATERIAL THAT HAS ALREADY BEEN MOVED. IT DOES NOT CONTAIN ANY FRESH MATERIAL
Turkey's incursion into Syria will stretch from Kobani in the west to Hasaka in the east, going some 30 km (19 miles) into Syrian territory, President Tayyip Erdogan said on Sunday (October 13), and the town of Ras al Ain was already under Turkish control.
Addressing a news conference in Istanbul, Erdogan said the Turkish-led forces had also besieged the Syrian border town of Tel Abyad, west of Ras al Ain, in its fight against the YPG Kurdish militia, which Ankara says is a terrorist organisation.
Pope Francis pleaded for an "honest and transparent" solution to the border crisis in Syria. In his noon address after a canonisation ceremony in St. Peter's Square, Francis expressed concern about the fate of people "forced to abandon their homes because of military actions", including many Christians.
Turkey now faces threats of possible sanctions from NATO ally the United States unless it calls off the incursion. Two other NATO allies, Germany and France, have suspended arms exports to Turkey. For its part, the Arab League has denounced the Turkish offensive as an "invasion of Arab land."
More than 130,000 people have been displaced from rural areas around Tel Abyad and Ras al Ain as a result of the fighting, the United Nations said on Sunday.
(Production: Mert Ozkan, Dato Chkhikvishvili, Paul Warren, Mehmet Caliskan, Yesim Dikmen, Ayat Basma, Deniz Uyar)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.