- Title: Climate activists glue themselves to Barclays building in London
- Date: 14th October 2019
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UK (OCTOBER 14, 2019) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF BARCLAYS BUILDING / PROTESTERS AND POLICE OUTSIDE VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS LYING DOWN IN FRONT OF ENTRANCE WITH HANDS GLUED TO FLOOR PROTESTERS HANDS INTERLOCKED VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS LYING ON GROUND VARIOUS OF SYRINGES IN TRAYS HOLDING SOLUTION TO REMOVE GLUE VARIOUS OF MAN REMOVING GLUE FROM PROTESTERS HAND PROTESTERS LYING ON FLOOR POLICE ESCORTING PROTESTER AWAY EXTERIOR OF BARCLAYS BUILDING
- Embargoed: 28th October 2019 15:39
- Keywords: Barclays climate activists Extinction Rebellion
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UK
- City: LONDON, ENGLAND, UK
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice
- Reuters ID: LVA001B12KY87
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Climate activists thronged the financial heart of London on Monday (October 14), blocking streets around locations including BlackRock, the Bank of England, Bank of China and Barclays (BARC.L).
Volunteers glued themselves to the doors outside Barclays while others staged a mock dinner party with rolled-up banknotes on their plates, outside the world's biggest asset manager BlackRock, a Reuters reporter said.
The activists are demanding that major financial institutions starve fossil fuel companies of the money they need to build new mines, wells and pipelines.
Extinction Rebellion, which uses civil disobedience to highlight the risks posed by climate change and the accelerating loss of plant and animal species, is midway through a new two-week wave of actions in cities around the world.
Critics say the group is proposing what amounts to the overthrow of capitalism without any clear idea of what would replace it, and that the world's energy needs cannot be met without fossil fuels.
Extinction Rebellion said that 1,336 people had been arrested in London since it launched its actions a week ago. A further 1,463 people have been arrested in 20 cities in countries including the Netherlands, Belgium, the United States, Australia, Canada and New Zealand.
(Production: Soraya Ali)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None