- Title: Protesters hail victory after Ecuador's Moreno repeals fuel subsidy cut
- Date: 14th October 2019
- Summary: LARGE ECUADORIAN FLAG BEING WAVED ABOVE CROWD
- Embargoed: 28th October 2019 06:35
- Keywords: deal protesters protests Ecuador Quito President Lenin Moreno austerity
- Location: QUITO, ECUADOR
- City: QUITO, ECUADOR
- Country: Ecuador
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA004B12JDC7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: PART AUDIO AS INCOMING
Ecuadorians took to the streets of Quito in celebration on Sunday (October 13) as President Lenin Moreno's government agreed to repeal a decree that ended fuel subsidies.
The government announced that they will form a commission with indigenous leaders to pass a new law they can agree on, a mediator said late on Sunday (October 13).
Arnaud Peral, the representative of the United Nations in Ecuador, said that indigenous leaders agreed to call off protests against the decree.
The announcement was a major breakthrough in a dispute that has unleashed 12 days of unrest in the capital Quito.
Moreno has blamed groups loyal to former president Rafael Correa and Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro for inciting violence in the capital.
Correa faces 29 different charges against him, from corruption to misuse of power, in Ecuador.
(Production: Ignacio Munoz, Paul Vieira)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.