- Title: Brave Blossoms have 'every chance of going to the semis', after winning Pool A
- Date: 14th October 2019
- Summary: TOKYO, JAPAN (OCTOBER 14, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF PEOPLE WALKING ON THROUGH TOKYO STREET (SOUNDBITE) (English) ENGLISH RUGBY FAN, LANCE, SAYING: "Well seeing that they have beaten the world's number two, being Ireland, I think still they have got every chance of possibly going to the semis." (SOUNDBITE) (English) ENGLISH RUGBY FAN, BRIAN, SAYING: "I agree with that. South Africa is going to be an incredibly hard game." (SOUNDBITE) (English) ENGLISH RUGBY FAN LANCE, SAYING: "And they have beaten South Africa. Four years ago." (SOUNDBITE) (English) ENGLISH RUGBY FAN BRIAN, SAYING: "The quality of rugby they played last night, the fluency, the commitment, the passion, the power were so impressive, that if they managed to repeat that again South Africa, they have got a real chance." (SOUNDBITE) (Japanese) JAPANESE RUGBY FAN, TSUYOSHI HOTEHAMA, SAYING: "They might have achieved to be in last eight, but now I want them to do their best at each game and want them to advance as far as possible." (SOUNDBITE) (Japanese) JAPANESE RUGBY FAN, SHOJIRO SAITO, SAYING: "As a Japanese, keeping their calmness with such discipline, no needless fighting and they played aggressively, pushed forward and won with fairplay. I was very happy to see how they won the match last night." (SOUNDBITE) (English) ENGLISH RUGBY FAN, NEIL BROOKS, SAYING: "They are hosting the game, I mean they are such a wonderful hosts, I mean what a lovely country. I mean the emotion of the guys, we saw some of the guys after the game they won yesterday, they were just literally crying. They couldn't speak. It was so good to see. The rugby was electrifying, it was really good to see, really great hands, you can't get any better really, I mean that was what rugby is about. It really was one of the greatest games."
- Embargoed: 28th October 2019 10:02
- Keywords: Japan Scotland rugby world cup Brave Blossoms
- Location: TOKYO, JAPAN
- City: TOKYO, JAPAN
- Country: Japan
- Topics: Rugby Union,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA001B12HLBZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Rugby fans were optimistic on Monday (October 14) about Japan's World Cup Rugby Squad, the Brave Blossoms advancing to the semi-finals following their convincing 28-21 win over Scotland on Sunday (October 13).
Japan is known for its love of baseball, soccer and the traditional sport of sumo but the hosts have been winning the hearts of new fans.
Japan has participated in every World Cup since the tournament began in 1987 but were perennial losers serving as easy prey for the Tier-1 sides, most notably in a demoralising 145-17 loss to New Zealand in 1995. That all changed in 2015 in England when Japan stunned South Africa and just missed out on reaching the quarter-finals despite having won three matches.
Scotland was the only side to beat Japan in their pool four years ago so it was sweet revenge, having won all four of their matches to top Pool A. The Brave Blossoms will prepare to take on the Springboks next Sunday (October 20).
(Production: Jill Gralow)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None