- Title: Turkey-backed Syria fighters raise opposition flag in town of Tel Abyad
- Date: 14th October 2019
- Summary: TEL ABYAD, SYRIA (OCTOBER 14, 2019) (REUTERS) TURKEY-BACKED SYRIAN REBELS ON TOP OF VEHICLE MOUNTED WITH MACHINE GUN DRIVING ALONG ROAD IN TEL ABYAD TURKEY-BACKED FIGHTER CLIMBING FLAG POLE TO BRING DOWN SYRIAN KURDISH MILITIA FLAG TRUCK CARRYING CIVILIANS DRIVE PAST SYRIAN KURDISH FLAG BEING BROUGHT DOWN VARIOUS OF SYRIAN KURDISH FLAG BEING REMOVED VARIOUS OF FIGHTERS PREPARING TO RAISE SYRIAN OPPOSITION FLAG VARIOUS OF FIGHTERS PERFORMING SALUTE TO COMMANDER SYRIAN OPPOSITION FLAG FLYING AT MAST VARIOUS OF OPPOSITION REBELS PERFORMING SALUTE FIGHTERS GATHERED UNDER FLAG POLE, CHANTING SLOGANS
- Embargoed: 28th October 2019 09:27
- Keywords: Syria Turkey military operation U.S. troops in Syria Trump sanctions Syrian opposition flag
- Location: TEL ABYAD, SYRIA
- City: TEL ABYAD, SYRIA
- Country: Syria
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Military Conflicts
- Reuters ID: LVA001B12HYRR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Turkey-backed Syrian opposition fighters raised the flag of the Syrian opposition at mast in the centre of Tel Abyad near the border on Monday (October 14), a day after capturing the town from Kurdish militant groups as part of Turkish military campaign.
Turkey launched its offensive against the groups which it calls terrorist last week after U.S. President Donald Trump's decision to withdraw some 50 special operations forces from two outposts in northern Syria, in a move that drew sharp criticism, including from his fellow Republicans.
Tel Abyad is one of two border towns that Turkey said on Sunday (October 13) it has gained full control of. The second town is Ras Al Ain.
(Production: Khalil Ashawi)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None