- Title: 'No planet, no profit', climate change activists warn City of London
- Date: 14th October 2019
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (OCTOBER 14, 2019) (REUTERS) CLIMATE CHANGE ACTIVISTS BLOCKING ROADS OUTSIDE BANK OF ENGLAND PROTESTER WEARING MASK RESEMBLING HEAD OF BULL VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS ON GROUND WITH HANDS GLUED TOGETHER POLICE OFFICERS LOOKING ON PROTESTERS HOLDING BANNER READING (English): "FOSSIL FUELS = EXTINCTION", WITH BANK OF ENGLAND IN BACKGROUND ACTIVISTS LYING ON GROUND / POLICE OFFICERS CARRYING ACTIVIST AWAY POLICE OFFICERS CARRYING ACTIVIST AWAY (SOUNDBITE) (English) BOGDAN GORONENU, 28-YEAR OLD PROTESTER FROM ROMANIA WHO WORKS IN FINANCIAL SECTOR IN LONDON, SAYING: "We are here to raise awareness about this and to make a plea that these investors, they need to change because otherwise they will no longer be suitable in this particular situation. Business as usual cannot function any more." (SOUNDBITE) (English) JED LAZAR, 40-YEAR OLD PROTESTER FROM THE U.S. WHO WORKS IN BUSINESS SECTOR IN LONDON, SAYING: "You know the message no planet no profit is a very clear one. It's difficult to tell people and get people on board for a movement that is in direct contradiction with what their job mandate is and I understand that. But at a certain point we've all got to wake up and understand that if we want a planet that our families can live on, that our children can thrive on then business as usual can't go on." POLICE OFFICER TALKING TO PROTESTER WEARING JACKET READING (English): "CITY OF LONDON POLICE" PROTESTER BEING HANDCUFFED, WALKING AWAY WITH POLICE OFFICERS PLACARD READING (English): "STOP FUNDING ECOCIDE" EXTINCTION REBELLION FLAG WAVING IN FRONT OF STREET SIGN READING (English): "THREADNEEDLE STREET" PROTESTER HOLDING LEAFLET READING (English): "NON VIOLENT" PROTESTER HANDING OUT LEAFLETS PROTESTER HOLDING POSTER WITH DRAWING OF PLANET EARTH READING (English): "WE ARE ALL SHAREHOLDERS" PROTESTER WEARING HIGH-VIZ WAISTCOAT / POLICE OFFICERS LINED UP IN BACKGROUND WEARING HIGH VIS COATS EXTINCTION REBELLION FLAG / BUS IN BACKGROUND
- Embargoed: 28th October 2019 10:37
- Keywords: Extinction Rebellion climate activists civil disobedience London protest demontration climate change climate action Margaret Atwood
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- City: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Environment,Climate Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001B12KPJB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Climate-change activists from the Extinction Rebellion Group, which is using two weeks of civil disobedience to fight for governments to do more to protect the environment, staged a protest in the heart of the City of London on Monday (October 14).
Activist gathered outside the Bank of England from the early hours of Monday blocking roads and bringing traffic to a standstill.
At least a dozen protesters were arrested after lying on the ground and gluing their hands together.
"At a certain point we've all got to wake up and understand that if we want a planet that our families can live on, that our children can thrive on then business as usual can't go on," said Jed Lazar, who operates a business in London.
Meanwhile, Canadian author Margaret Atwood also showed her support for the movement, by posing for a photograph with the Extinction Rebellion logo by her forehead.
Extinction Rebellion rose to prominence in April when it caused traffic chaos in central London for 11 days. The group wants governments to take more radical steps to reduce greenhouse emissions.
The group also wants to promote a rebellion against the political, economic and social structure of the modern world to avert the worst case scenarios outlined by scientists studying the climate.
(Production: Will Russell, Iona Serrapica, Helena Williams)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None