- Title: Embattled South Korea justice minister resigns amid protests
- Date: 14th October 2019
- Summary: SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA (RECENT - SEPTEMBER 26, 2019) (REUTERS) ***WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** CHO ATTENDING NATIONAL ASSEMBLY MEETING CHO STANDING AT PODIUM SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA (RECENT - OCTOBER 12, 2019) (REUTERS) ANTI-CHO PROTESTER SPEAKING ON STAGE / BANNER BEHIND STAGE READING (Korean): "ARREST CHO KUK / IMPEACH MOON JAE-IN" / BANNER IN FRONT OF STAGE READING (Korean): "THE BEGINNING OF PROSECUTION REFORM IS ARRESTING AND INVESTIGATING CHO KUK!" ANTI-CHO PROTESTERS HOLDING UP SIGNS READING (Korean): "IMPEACH MOON JAE-IN" LARGE BANNER READING (Korean): "IMPEACH MOON JAE-IN / ARREST CHO KUK" PRO-JUSTICE MINISTER PROTESTERS CHANTING AND HOLDING BANNERS READING (Korean): "PROTECT CHO KUK (JUSTICE MINISTER) / REFORM PROSECUTION" PRO-JUSTICE MINISTER PROTESTERS WAVING GLOWSTICKS AND CANDLELIGHT
- Embargoed: 28th October 2019 08:24
- Keywords: South Korea Justice Minister Cho Kuk resignation corruption scandal
- Location: GWACHEON, SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA
- City: GWACHEON, SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA
- Country: South Korea
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA005B12HQ2V
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: South Korean Justice Minister Cho Kuk resigned on Monday (October 14) after just over a month on the job, saying his appointment had become a political burden for the government after being mired in a corruption scandal involving his family.
Cho was appointed by President Moon Jae-in on September 9 to lead a reform of the prosecutors' office, which legal critics say has long been susceptible to political pressure.
His appointment came as prosecutors were investigating his family's financial investments and the university admissions of his children, which fuelled protests against Cho.
In a meeting with his senior aides on Monday, South Korean President Moon Jae-in apologised for the conflict Cho's appointment caused, but said it was worth it to reform the prosecutor's office.
(Production: Hyunyoung Yi)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None