- Title: Climate change protester dressed as broccoli arrested in UK
- Date: 14th October 2019
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (OCTOBER 13, 2019) (REUTERS) EXTINCTION REBELLION PROTESTER DRESSED IN SUIT WITH BROCCOLI COSTUME HEADPIECE WALKING ON STREET WITH POSTER READING (English): "I'M LOCALLY SOURCED AND ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY" / BRITISH POLICE OFFICERS APPROACHING AND ARRESTING PROTESTER, PROTESTER SHOUTING (English) "GIVE PEAS (PEACE) A CHANCE!"
- Embargoed: 28th October 2019 14:23
- Keywords: broccoli protester protester dressed like broccoli climate change activists Extinction Rebellion London UK
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- City: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Environment,Climate Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001B12LZK1
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:A climate change protester dressed as a broccoli was arrested by police in London on Sunday (October 13), shouting "give peas (peace) a chance" and holding up a floret of broccoli.
The demonstrator who was wearing a large green broccoli headpiece and green face makeup was detained in London's Oxford Street.
In April, the same protester who is a member of Animal Rebellion, an offshoot of Extinction Rebellion, was involved in a protest at the House of Commons, in which protesters removed items of their clothing and pressed their buttocks against the security glass in the chamber.
The demonstrator was released later on Sunday.
Extinction Rebellion, which uses civil disobedience to highlight the risks posed by climate change and the accelerating loss of plant and animal species, is midway through a new two-week wave of actions in cities around the world.
(Production: Andrew Marshall, Natalia Oriol, Parniyan Zemaryalai)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None