- Title: U.S. troops pass through the Netherlands to support NATO in Germany
- Date: 14th October 2019
- Summary: VLISSINGEN, THE NETHERLANDS (OCTOBER 14, 2019) (REUTERS) U.S. ARMY PERSONNEL SIGNALLING DIRECTION TO TANK TANK'S CATERPILLAR TRACK TANK DRIVING AWAY VARIOUS OF U.S. ARMY PERSONNEL WATCHING UNLOADING OPERATION TANK DISEMBARKING FROM SHIP VARIOUS OF OPERATIONS MANAGER AT DUTCH DEFENCE MINISTRY TOM KIEVIT SPEAKING WITH DUTCH ARMY SOLDIER (SOUNDBITE) (English) OPERATIONS MANAGER AT DUTCH DEFENCE MINISTRY, TOM KIEVIT , SAYING: "What is happening is that an American unit, an armoured brigade combat team is arriving in the harbour of Vlissingen through three ships arriving here and they're offloading and then loading on to trains, trucks and barges moving on to Germany and then to Poland." VARIOUS OF TANK DISEMBARKING VARIOUS OF TANK DRIVING AWAY VARIOUS OF U.S. COMMANDER OF 598 TRANSPORTATION BRIGADE JIN PARK TALKING TO REPORTER (SOUNDBITE) (English) U.S. COMMANDER OF 598 TRANSPORTATION BRIGADE, COLONEL JIN PAK, SAYING: "I think it is very import to be able to show how much we care and are committed to security here in Europe. And to be able to be here at this seaport to work not only with my friends in the U.S. military but also all the great professionals in the Dutch military and the commercial - the local industry here from the terminal and work together like this, it's a great feeling and it is going very well." PAK'S HELMET PAK'S HANDS (SOUNDBITE) (English) U.S. COMMANDER OF 598 TRANSPORTATION BRIGADE, COLONEL JIN PAK, SAYING: "So this is an operation and training that is defensive in nature. It shows the U.S. government's commitment to providing capable and credible forces in support of our allies here in Europe." VARIOUS OF PEOPLE ATTACHING CHAINS TO TANK TO LOAD IT ON BARGE VARIOUS OF TANK BEING LOADED ON BARGE (SOUNDBITE) (English) OPERATIONS MANAGER AT DUTCH DEFENCE MINISTRY, TOM KIEVIT, SAYING: "It's not a secret that there is an increased threat and that NATO allies are training more in the European theatre so that is certainly part of the reason for this exercise and this operation." SIGN READING (English): 'SAFETY FIRST' VARIOUS OF TANK DISEMBARKING SIGN READING (English): 'KILLER' ON TANK VARIOUS OF TANKS
- Embargoed: 28th October 2019 14:37
- Keywords: Russia Netherlands tanks NATO troops Poland threats United States Germany
- Location: VLISSINGEN, THE NETHERLANDS
- City: VLISSINGEN, THE NETHERLANDS
- Country: Netherlands
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,International/National Security
- Reuters ID: LVA001B12M3BB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Thousands of U.S. troops with the 2nd Armoured Brigade, accompanied by dozens of Abrams tanks, arrived in the Netherlands on Monday (October 14) on their way to eastern Europe where they will support NATO.
As part of the regular rotation, 3,500 troops, 85 tanks and hundreds of support vehicles are being transported from Ft. Hood, Texas, through the Netherlands and Germany by rail, road and river to Poland.
The American presence is part of U.S. support for NATO in response to rising tension between Western powers and Russia.
"I think it is very important to be able to show how much we care and are committed to security here in Europe," said Colonel Jin Pak, commander of the 598th Transportation Brigade.
At the same time, 1,700 U.S. troops from another unit were returning to the U.S. via Rotterdam port with 80 Blackhawk, Apache and Chinook helicopters, a Dutch government press release said.
The operation began on October 10 and is due to be completed by early November, it said.
(Production Hilde Verweij, Hortense de Roffignac)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None