- Title: Macron meets with EU's Von der Leyen in Paris
- Date: 14th October 2019
- Summary: PARIS, FRANCE (OCTOBER 14, 2019) (AGENCY POOL) FRENCH PRESIDENT, EMMANUEL MACRON, WALKING OUT OF ELYSEE PRESIDENTIAL PALACE REPUBLICAN GUARD STANDING AT COURTYARD CAR ARRIVING WITH BUTLER OPENING DOOR / PRESIDENT OF EUROPEAN COMMISSION, URSULA VON DER LEYEN, COMING OUT AND BEING GREETED BY MACRON MACRON AND VON DER LEYEN WALKING UP ELYSEE STEPS, POSING FOR PHOTOGRAPHS AND GOING INSIDE VARIOUS OF MACRON AND VON DER LEYEN MEETING
- Embargoed: 28th October 2019 09:42
- Keywords: France European Union Emmanuel Macron Ursula Von der Leyen Elysee palace Paris meeting
- Location: PARIS, FRANCE
- City: PARIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: European Union,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001B12KGUF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: French President Emmanuel Macron met with European Commission President-elect Ursula Von Der Leyen at the Elysee presidential palace in Paris to discuss the establishment of the new European executive on Monday (October 14).
The meeting took place days after the candidacy of Sylvie Goulard, proposed by Macron for the role of European commissioner for the internal market, was rejected by members of the European Parliament.
Macron had expressed his surprise and anger at the MEPs and also blamed Von Der Leyen for the move, as she is said to have assured him of the support of the groups composing the Parliament.
Von Der Leyen was elected president of the Commission in July and will take office on Nov. 1, succeeding Jean-Claude Juncker.
Macron is slated to meet with European Council President Donald Tusk at the Elysee later on Monday.
(Production: Ardee Napolitano, Manuel Ausloos)
- Copyright Holder: POOL (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None