- Title: Catalan separatists block roads in second day of protests
- Date: 15th October 2019
- Summary: GIRONA, SPAIN (OCTOBER 15, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF CATALAN SEPARATIST PROTESTERS BLOCKING AP-7 HIGHWAY VARIOUS OF BARRICADE ON FIRE RIOT POLICE RUNNING PROTESTERS WALKING AWAY FROM HIGHWAY RIOT POLICEMAN HITTING PROTESTER WITH BATON VARIOUS OF RIOT POLICE AND PROTESTERS ON HIGHWAY PROTESTERS SEATED ON HIGHWAY CHANTING IN CATALAN: "Streets will always be ours" PROTESTERS IN FRONT OF RIOT POLICE PROTESTERS CHANTING POLICE LINE AND PROTESTERS SITTING ON THE ROAD VARIOUS OF RIOT POLICE LINE AND SMOKE BILLOWING BEHIND THEM
- Embargoed: 29th October 2019 17:55
- Keywords: Separatist supporters block roads riot police jailing of separatist leaders Catalan separatist leaders conviction Spain Catalonia
- Location: GIRONA, SPAIN
- City: GIRONA, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest
- Reuters ID: LVA001B17KDHJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Catalan separatist protesters blocked one of the main highways in the region on Tuesday (October 15) and set up fire to a barricade on the second day of demonstrations over Monday's (October 14) sentencing of nine separatist leaders to nine to 13 year in prison over their role in a failed secessionist bid in 2017.
Protesters set up fire to a barricade in the AP-7 highway and staged a sit-in as riot police tried to remove them triggering clashes with some demonstrators.
Various other rallies were planned later in the day in other parts of the region and pro-independence labour union confederation IAC announced a general strike in Catalonia for Friday (October 18) against labour laws which unions say infringe on workers' rights.
The head of the regional government, Quim Torra, defended the mass protests over the sentences he described as "unacceptable"
(Production: Ismael Peracaula, Miguel Gutierrez)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None