- Title: Czech court upholds prison sentences for Dutch brothers convicted of assault
- Date: 15th October 2019
- Summary: PRAGUE, CZECH REPUBLIC (OCTOBER 15, 2019) (REUTERS) ***WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** DUTCH BROTHERS CONVICTED OF ASSAULT, ARMIN AND ARASH NAHVI, ESCORTED BY POLICE OFFICERS TO COURTROOM POLICE OFFICERS REMOVING HANDCUFFS FROM NAHVI BROTHERS PEOPLE IN COURT LOOKING ON NAHVI BROTHERS LISTENING VARIOUS OF JUDGE, MARTIN ZELENKA, READING THE REASON FOR VERDICT LAWYERS LISTENING ZELENKA READING VERDICT NAHVI BROTHERS LISTENING ZELENKA READING VERDICT NAHVI BROTHERS AND MEMBERS OF PUBLIC SITTING DOWN COURT NOTICE BOARD POLICE OFFICERS ESCORTING NAHVI BROTHERS OUT OF COURTROOM POLICE OFFICERS ESCORTING NAHVI BROTHERS THROUGH CORRIDOR, JOURNALISTS ASKING QUESTIONS SOUNDBITE (Czech) DEFENCE LAWYER FOR NAHVI BROTHERS, ANDREJ LOKAJICEK, SAYING: "I can only say that we are satisfied that the High Court did not accept the arguments of the state prosecuting attorney and did not change the criminal charges to attempted murder. This was the most important for us, because this was not the case." VARIOUS OF PEOPLE IN COURT CORRIDOR EXTERIOR OF COURT BUILDING PERSON LEAVING COURT BUILDING
- Embargoed: 29th October 2019 12:31
- Keywords: Czech Republic Prague Armin and Arash Nahvi Nahvi brothers dutch brothers assault czech assault case nahvi brothers verdict assault on czech waiter
- Location: PRAGUE, CZECH REPUBLIC
- City: PRAGUE, CZECH REPUBLIC
- Country: Czech Republic
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice,Judicial Process/Court Cases/Court Decisions
- Reuters ID: LVA001B17JJG9
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A Prague court upheld prison sentences for two Dutch brothers convicted in April of assault on a waiter at a Prague restaurant, but dismissed prosecutors' appeal for a conviction for attempted murder at a hearing on Tuesday (October 15).
Earlier this year Armin and Arash Nahvi, aged 29 and 32, were given prison sentences of six and five years respectively for the attack, which took place in April 2018.
Judges at Prague's High Court confirmed Arash Nahvi's sentence, but reduced Armin Nahvi's sentence from six years to five and a half.
Defence lawyer Andrej Lokajicek said he was satisfied that the judges had not accepted the prosecutors' arguments to change the charges to attempted murder.
The sentence also includes financial compensation for the victim, who had to recover from the attack in hospital, as well as banning the pair from entering the Czech Republic for a period of ten years.
(Production: Jiri Skacel, Dominik Starosz)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None