- Title: EU will negotiate to the last to square the Brexit circle - Merkel
- Date: 15th October 2019
- Summary: BERLIN, GERMANY (OCTOBER 15, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF GERMAN CHANCELLOR ANGELA MERKEL ADDRESSING CROWD AT A SUMMIT ORGANISED BY ENGINEERING ASSOCIATION VDMA (SOUNDBITE) (German) GERMAN CHANCELLOR, ANGELA MERKEL, SAYING: "We will work on an orderly Brexit to the last minute. But we are prepared for the fact, and it is quite clear to us, that Great Britain is likely to emerge as a competitor to the EU, which will pose a challenge to which the EU will have to rise - in its ability to compete as well as in its geopolitical responsibilities." JOURNALIST MERKEL ADDRESSING AUDIENCE
- Embargoed: 29th October 2019 09:06
- Keywords: German Chancellor Angela Merkel Brexit negotiations EU
- Location: BERLIN, GERMANY
- City: BERLIN, GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001B17JGAV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The European Union will negotiate to the end to get an orderly Brexit, but the task is complicated by the difficulty of reconciling the Good Friday Agreement with Britain's desire to leave the customs union, German Chancellor Angela Merkel said.
"We will work on an orderly Brexit to the last minute," she said as she addressed a trade group of German manufacturers on Tuesday.
Merkel also warned that on its departure, Britain was likely to emerge as a competitor to the EU, posing a challenge to which the EU would have to rise.
(Production: Leon Malherbe, Fanny Brodersen and Elena Gyldenkerne)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None