- Title: NBA fans in Hong Kong disappointed in Lebron's comment on Morey
- Date: 15th October 2019
- Summary: VARIOUS OF BASKETBALL FANS SINGING U.S. NATIONAL ANTHEM / HOLDING DIGITALLY MODIFIED POSTER OF LEBRON JAMES HOLDING MONEY
- Embargoed: 29th October 2019 14:17
- Keywords: Hong Kong protest CCTV footage NBA Lebron James NBA ban Hong Kong basketball
- Location: HONG KONG, CHINA
- City: HONG KONG, CHINA
- Country: Hong Kong
- Topics: Government/Politics,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA002B17HMPZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Hong Kong basketball fans gathered on Tuesday (October 15) to express their support for Houston Rockets general manager Daryl Morey after NBA superstar LeBron James said he "wasn't educated" when he sent a tweet in support of protesters in Hong Kong this month.
Morey's tweet of support for pro-democracy protests in Hong Kong on October 4 set off a firestorm, prompting Chinese sponsors and partners to cut ties with the league and the National Basketball Association (NBA) to answer difficult questions about free speech.
James' tweets and statement have set off their own firestorm, with basketball fans in the U.S. and China sounding off. On Twitter, many users responded to his statement with anger. "Weak," said one user. Others simply posted emoji of bags of money.
Hong Kong has been rocked by four months of unrest, with massive marches and at times violent protests involving tear gas, petrol bombs and live rounds, over concerns Beijing is tightening its grip on the city and eroding democratic rights.
(Production: Ronn Bautista, Xihao Jiang, Chiara Rodriquez)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.