- Title: Lawmakers heckle Lam, Hong Kong policy address adjourned
- Date: 16th October 2019
- Summary: HONG KONG, CHINA (OCTOBER 16, 2019) (REUTERS) ***WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** PLACARDS OF LEADER CARRIE LAM WITH BLOODIED HANDS WITH TEXT READING (Chinese): "THE FIVE DEMANDS, NOT ONE LESS / PRO-BEIJING PARTIES ARE ACCOMPLICES TO TYRANNY." VARIOUS OF PRO-DEMOCRACY LAWMAKERS HOLDING PLACARDS AND CHANTING (Cantonese): "CARRIE LAM STEP DOWN!" "HOLD POLICE ACCOUNTABLE!" LAM ARRIVING / LAWMAKERS TRYING TO PUSH PLACARDS IN FRONT OF HER AND CHANTING / LAM WALKING INTO CHAMBER
- Embargoed: 30th October 2019 04:19
- Keywords: Hong Kong China Carrie Lam policy address 2019 Legislative Council Legco
- Location: HONG KONG, CHINA
- City: HONG KONG, CHINA
- Country: Hong Kong
- Topics: Government/Politics,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA001B1CICLJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Hong Kong leader Carrie Lam was forced to abandon her annual policy address on Wednesday (October 16) after some lawmakers jeered as she began speaking, causing an unprecedented cancellation of the speech in the legislature of the Chinese-ruled city.
Lam, who has rejected calls to stand down, had been set to announce a raft of property initiatives, in a bid to restore confidence in her administration after more than four months of anti-government protests.
Pro-democracy lawmakers shouted "five demands, not one less" as they heckled Lam, who faces immense pressure to regain trust and resolve the city's biggest political crisis in decades, in a disruption that forced the meeting to be adjourned twice.
The expression has become one of the movement's rallying calls, referring to protesters' five main demands, which include universal suffrage and an independent inquiry into what they say has been excessive force by police in dealing with demonstrations.
A pre-recorded video of Lam's policy speech was released later on Wednesday.
(Production: Ronn Bautista, Joyce Zhou, Juarawee Kittisilpa)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None