- Title: Israelis cry 'shame' in protest over Turkish incursion into Syria
- Date: 16th October 2019
- Summary: TEL AVIV, ISRAEL (OCTOBER 15, 2019) (REUTERS) ISRAELI PROTESTERS TEARING APART TURKISH FLAG PROTESTER SPITTING ON TURKISH FLAG, PUTTING IT ON THE GROUND AND STEPPING ON IT PROTESTERS CHANTING IN English: 'SHAME' PROTESTERS OUTSIDE U.S. EMBASSY LOGO OF U.S. EMBASSY U.S. FLAG PROTESTERS CALLING TO STOP THE TURKISH INCURSION (SOUNDBITE) (English) ISRAELI PROTESTER OF KURDISH ORIGIN, HADASSAH YISHURUN, SAYING: "I am Kurdish singer from Israel and I support Kurdistan, I support Rojava. I ask the international community to arrest Hitler Erdogan (referring to the Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan) now immediately because he killed our brothers and sisters our Kurdish brothers and sisters." PROTESTER HOLDING POSTER OF HITLER VARIOUS OF PROTEST PROTESTER HOLDING SIGN READING IN English: 'WE STAND WITH THE BRAVE KURDISH PEOPLE', TURKISH FLAG OVER TURKISH EMBASSY BUILDING EXTERIOR OF TURKISH EMBASSY PROTEST IN PROGRESS
- Embargoed: 30th October 2019 07:09
- Keywords: Turkey Syria Kurds Israel incursion protest
- Location: TEL AVIV, ISRAEL
- City: TEL AVIV, ISRAEL
- Country: Israel
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA001B1CK1FR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Several hundreds of Israelis protested in Tel Aviv on Tuesday (October 15), chanting 'shame' as Turkey pressed ahead with its military offensive in northeast Syria.
Marching on Tel Aviv's beachfront promenade across from the Turkish and United States embassies, protesters waved Kurdish and Israeli flags and held banners calling on the international community to stop Turkey's incursion.
One protester ripped up a Turkish flag then stomped on it on the ground. Another held a picture merging a portrait of Adolf Hitler and Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan, reading 'Wanted Dead or Alive".
Turkey vowed to press ahead with its offensive in northern Syria on Tuesday (October 15) despite U.S. sanctions and growing calls for it to stop.
Turkey had been poised to enter northeast Syria since President Donald Trump ordered U.S. troops, who have been fighting with Kurdish-led forces against Islamic State, to pull out.
(Prodcution: Eli Berlzon, Mustafa Abu Ganeyeh, Elana Ringler)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None