- Title: Hong Kong residents unimpressed by leader Carrie Lam, policy speech
- Date: 16th October 2019
- Summary: HONG KONG, CHINA (OCTOBER 16, 2019) (REUTERS) HONG KONG SKYLINE BOAT ON RIVER PEOPLE WALKING ON OVERPASS CHINESE NATIONAL FLAG WITH HONG KONG FLAG VARIOUS OF POLICE WALKING ON OVERPASS (SOUNDBITE) (Cantonese) 20-YEAR-OLD STUDENT, KINSON CHOW, SAYING: "(The Policy Address) that Carrie Lam announced today did not meet my expectations. Actually, Hong Kong people including myself, we don't have any expectations from her (Carrie Lam). Her popularity has reached a record low, so we don't have any expectations on her.'' EXTERIOR OF LEGISLATIVE COUNCIL POLICEMEN BANNER READING (English) "HONG KONG ASIA'S WORLD CITY" (SOUNDBITE) (English) HONG KONG RESIDENT, HARRY LOASBY, SAYING: "It's interesting that her priority is at with housing, as opposed to what's going on right now in Hong Kong. She's in a difficult position obviously but it's her own making. So it's difficult for her to get out of it but ignoring the real issue is not the solution, I don't think so." EXTERIOR OF LEGISLATIVE COUNCIL BOARD READING (English and Mandarin) "LEGCO COMPLEX" EXTERIOR OF CENTRAL GOVERNMENT OFFICE CHINESE NATIONAL EMBLEM
- Embargoed: 30th October 2019 11:14
- Keywords: Hong Kong China demonstration protest Carrie Lam policy address
- Location: HONG KONG, CHINA
- City: HONG KONG, CHINA
- Country: Hong Kong
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001B1CIE6F
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Hong Kong residents on Wednesday (October 16) said they had 'no expectations' for leader Carrie Lam who was forced to abandon her policy speech in the legislature because of jeering lawmakers.
Some residents also deemed that Lam has placed her priority with housing, rather than addressing the social unrest issues.
Lam, who had to broadcast the annual address via a video link after the rowdy scenes in the city's assembly, hoped to restore confidence in her administration and address discontent after four months of often violent anti-government protests.
The protesters' demands include universal suffrage and an independent inquiry into what they say has been excessive force by police in dealing with demonstrations.
(Production: Xihao Jiang, Joyce Zhou, Juarawee Kittisilpa)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None