- Title: Brexit talks go down to the wire ahead of EU summit
- Date: 16th October 2019
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UK (OCTOBER 16, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF BRITISH NEWSPAPER HEADLINES
- Embargoed: 30th October 2019 09:37
- Keywords: negotiations brexit EU UK politics deal Europe European Union parliament London brexit talks
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UK
- City: LONDON, ENGLAND, UK
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA003B1CKP53
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: British and European Union officials resumed talks to clinch a Brexit deal on Wednesday (October 16) just a few hours after late-night negotiations wound up, but it was far from clear they would reach an agreement before a leaders' summit on Thursday.
Officials involved in the complex divorce between the world's fifth-largest economy and its biggest trading bloc said differences over the terms of the split from the 27 other member states had narrowed significantly.
But a small Northern Irish party that support Britain's Conservative minority government said further work was required to get a deal through.
Britain's plan to leave the EU, which has only ever added new member states, has compounded problems for a bloc torn by Euroscepticism, economic disparities and an influx of migrants.
Britain has itself been polarized by Brexit and, even though an end-game appears to be in sight, the country is still intractably divided between leavers and remainers.
The main sticking point in talks has been the border between EU member Ireland and the British province of Northern Ireland.
(Production: Ben Makori, Tom Scally, Helena Williams, Ciara Lee)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Footage contains images from newspapers or magazines. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing this clip.