- Title: Tracking footage shows massive clean-up operation in typhoon-hit Japanese town
- Date: 16th October 2019
- Summary: YANAGAWAMACHI, FUKUSHIMA, JAPAN (OCTOBER 16, 2019) (REUTERS) TRACKING SHOT SHOWING MASSIVE CLEAN-UP OPERATION AND DEBRIS IN FLOOD-DAMAGED TOWN
- Embargoed: 30th October 2019 09:32
- Keywords: Japan storm typhoon Hagibis clean up Fukushima flood damage recovery
- Location: FUKUSHIMA, JAPAN
- City: FUKUSHIMA, JAPAN
- Country: Japan
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents,Wind/Hurricane/Typhoons/Tornadoes,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA001B1CIP8N
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Extensive clean-up efforts continued on Wednesday (October 16) in the neighbourhood of Yanagawa in Fukushima, the prefecture in Japan hardest hit by Typhoon Hagibis.
Residents of the town since Monday (October 14) have been clearing debris off the streets with young volunteers spearheading the massive operation.
Among large piles of rubbish in plastic bags and water-damaged furniture were also the residents' belongings, stacked outside their homes.
Rescue workers in Japan searched for the missing on Wednesday as the death toll from one of the worst typhoons to hit the country rose to 74, public broadcaster NHK said, many drowned by flooding after scores of rivers burst their banks.
(Production: Kwiyeon Ha, Feline Lim)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None