- Title: Catalan separatist protesters throw petrol bombs at riot police
- Date: 16th October 2019
- Summary: BARCELONA, SPAIN (OCTOBER 16, 2019) (REUTERS) PETROL BOMB FLYING IN THE AIR RIOT POLICE PASSING BY RUBBISH CONTAINER IN FLAMES OBJECT BEING THROWN TOWARDS POLICE RIOT POLICE AND POLICE VANS MOVING TOWARDS DEMONSTRATORS RIOT POLICE LINE RUBBISH CONTAINERS IN FLAMES PROTESTERS SHELTERING BEHIND RUBBISH CONTAINERS BOTTLES BEING THROWN TO POLICE PROTESTERS THROWING OBJECTS POLICE VANS PASSING BY PROTESTERS GRABBING OBJECTS FROM THE FLOOR PROTESTERS RUNNING AND THROWING OBJECTS TO POLICE VAN FIRE ENGINE ARRIVING AT DEMONSTRATION FIREFIGHTERS AT DEMONSTRATION STREETS COVERED IN RUBBISH FIRE ENGINE AT DEMONSTRATION VARIOUS OF CONTAINERS IN FIRE BARCELONA, SPAIN (OCTOBER 17, 2019) (REUTERS) CONTAINER IN FIRE POLICE POINTING WITH FOAM RIFLE RIOT POLICE HELPING MAN AND WOMAN TO CROSS THE STREET RIOT POLICE SHOOTING FOAM RIFLE POLICE VANS FIRE SEEN THROUGH POLICE VAN WINDOW
- Embargoed: 30th October 2019 22:30
- Keywords: fire proces separatists spanish riot police police clashes catalan sentence Catalonia riot police petrol bomb protesters burnt cars containers
- Location: BARCELONA, SPAIN
- City: BARCELONA, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001B1CMREV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Violent Catalan pro-independence demonstrators threw petrol bombs at police officers as protests intensified in Barcelona on Wednesday (October 16).
"Molotov cocktails launched at the police line," the Mossos regional police force posted on Twitter.
Riot police charged and fired foam bullets as protesters set fire to bins and cars near the interior department of the regional government in Barcelona.
Demonstrators are protesting against jail sentences for nine leaders of a 2017 bid to declare the surrounding Catalonia region independent from Spain.
The confrontations are a challenge both for the northeastern region's pro-independence leader, Quim Torra, and the Madrid-based Spanish government led by acting Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez.
(Production: Marco Trujillo, Elena Rodriguez, Luis Felipe Fernandez)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None