- Title: ''Please mum get us out'': Hundreds of displaced Syrians flee to Iraq
- Date: 16th October 2019
- Summary: BARDARASH, IRAQ (OCTOBER 16, 2019 (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF BUSES CONTAINING DISPLACED SYRIAN KURDS, DRIVING VARIOUS OF DISPLACED PEOPLES IN BUS (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) DISPLACED SYRIAN WOMAN, HAMIDA ALI, SAYING: ''Random bombardment, we didn't know from where the rockets and shells were coming from. The children couldn't sleep at night. They were crying telling me, "please Mum get us out". They were really shocked.'' VARIOUS OF BARDARASH REFUGEE CAMP VARIOUS OF BUSES CARRYING DISPLACED FAMILIES ENTERING CAMP VARIOUS OF CHILDREN LOOKING OUT OF BUS WINDOWS CHILD GIVING PEACE SYMBOL VARIOUS OF DISPLACED PEOPLES ON BUS (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) DISPLACED SYRIAN MAN MASOUD FATAH, SAYING: ''We fled war, bombs and bombardment. We want peace. We got out for the sake of those children. For the first time, we left our homes. Thank God, the youth here welcomed us and received us well.'' VARIOUS OF DISPLACED SYRIAN PEOPLE GETTING OFF BUSES
- Embargoed: 30th October 2019 17:14
- Keywords: Syria Iraq Kurds displaced refugees camp Bardarash Turkey Operation
- Location: BARDARASH, IRAQ
- City: BARDARASH, IRAQ
- Country: Iraq
- Reuters ID: LVA001B1CLZRB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Hundreds of Syrian people forced to flee the violence caused by the Turkish military offensive arrived at a refugee camp in Bardarash, a town in Iraq's Kurdish region on Wednesday (October 16).
Elderly people and children were among the people arriving to the camp by bus, with one of the displaced women, Hamida Ali saying her children couldn't sleep at night from shelling and begged her to ''get us out.''
The United Nations says 160,000 people have fled their homes as Turkish forces advanced into northern Syria. The regional Kurdish administration puts the number of displaced at 270,000.
President Donald Trump's unexpected decision to withhold protection from Syria's Kurds after a phone call with Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan a week ago swiftly upended five years of U.S. policy on Syria.
As well as clearing the way for the Turkish incursion, the U.S. withdrawal gives a free hand to Washington's adversaries in the world's deadliest ongoing war, namely Syrian President Bashar al-Assad and his Russian and Iranian allies.
(Production: Mohammed Katfan, Aiden Nulty)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None